The Nissan Club banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
Totally agree. We slipped once and it took forever to make sure everything was lined up. But now that I've done it that way 4 or 5 times, I'd probably be scared to do it the easier, more efficient way...

·
Registered
11 Posts
tech data

I was curious do u know were i could find the factory service manuals or is there some other good info to to set everything and installation procedures.
:surprise

·
registered owner
373 Posts
I was curious do u know were i could find the factory service manuals or is there some other good info to to set everything and installation procedures.
:surprise
Google search can be a mixed bag of results, but finding the altima service manuals is one it's actually good at:

Search phrase: "altima field service manual"

Follow this link then drill down into your model year.

Nissan Altima Factory Service Manuals

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Or, or just do a search here on the forums..or even this thread and the FSM downloads would pop up.
Google search can be a mixed bag of results, but finding the altima service manuals is one it's actually good at:

Search phrase: "altima field service manual"

Follow this link then drill down into your model year.

Nissan Altima Factory Service Manuals

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
If you follow the FSM you wont need any tricks other than what was already shared here. :) Promise. Are you doing this with this engine in the car or are you planning to drop the sub frame?

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Nope....just undo the front, side, and trans mounts, then raise the engine slightly.
for u guys that did it yourself do u have to pull the sub frame to get the upper oil pan out

·
'05 Altima SE-R '96 240SX
86 Posts
Nope....just undo the front, side, and trans mounts, then raise the engine slightly.
Why did you take out the upper oil pan? I know the service manual says it, but I just done the timing chain replacement this weekend and did not have to remove the upper oil pan. I just removed the 2 bolts closest to the front cover.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Why? Because you can't remove the oil pump without doing so, which I replaced because it was making noises and the oil light kept flickering. The internal gear was making a whining noise from wear I suppose.
Why did you take out the upper oil pan? I know the service manual says it, but I just done the timing chain replacement this weekend and did not have to remove the upper oil pan. I just removed the 2 bolts closest to the front cover.

·
'05 Altima SE-R '96 240SX
86 Posts
Why? Because you can't remove the oil pump without doing so, which I replaced because it was making noises and the oil light kept flickering. The internal gear was making a whining noise from wear I suppose.
Gotcha. Thought by the name of this thread, you were just doing the timing chain. That's good to know though if I ever have to do the oil pump.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
You a mechanic? From what I see its not the most fun job to do.. Ive done alot of work on cars, and have done a few timing chains, and alot of timing belts... From what Ive seen, its best to just pay the dealer $1500-$2000 to get it done right
May not be fun or easy but some people might want to learn.

Is there an update on this? Really considering a 3.5 for my next "project."

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
May not be fun or easy but some people might want to learn.

Is there an update on this? Really considering a 3.5 for my next "project."
c'mon, lol, if your considering a 3.5 for your next "PROJECT" why worry about whether that lawsuit has legs or not??? It probably wont go anywhere with all the time that has passed, besides since its a project you will want to do this yourself..."some people might want to learn" lol :)

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
c'mon, lol, if your considering a 3.5 for your next "PROJECT" why worry about whether that lawsuit has legs or not??? It probably wont go anywhere with all the time that has passed, besides since its a project you will want to do this yourself..."some people might want to learn" lol :)
I've grown to love these VQ builds on here. I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff, but I'm willing to learn.:)

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,211 Posts
Well... I'm apparently now on the short list of people on this forum about to tackle the job on my own. Just over 81,000 miles on the ODO, and there's some ticking coming from the engine bay - same exact sound as all have described.

Chris, have you noticed any difference in the car with the lower spring tension you mentioned? @Penguinchit

Lawrence, I'll be taking you up on the ring gear tool when the time comes. Do you still have it? @4DZC

Aside from what has been mentioned in this thread and what is in the FSM, is there anything else I should be aware of outside of that?

And, no, to answer anyone proactively... I will not be doing cams while in there... LOL! :laugh

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Yep I have it. lol

·
Shaving My Shoulders
3,533 Posts
Wow 81K. Seems early to me (mine went at 108K - took it to 168K, which I in no way advocate).

May have missed it -are you going to try with motor in?

Good luck with all BPuff.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts
About this Discussion
118 Replies
37 Participants
rfkjr
The Nissan Club
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing