The Nissan Club banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guide Support

I made this piece to keep the guide from slipping down on my 3.5. Do ya'll think it will work? It has a hole that the tensioner goes into so it cant slide down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I made this piece to keep the guide from slipping down on my 3.5. Do ya'll think it will work? It has a hole that the tensioner goes into so it cant slide down.
That's interesting. I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as the plastic on the guide itself holds up.

I'm in the process of swapping engines. My old engine had 219k. I'm swapping it for one out of an 05 Maxima that has 65k miles
Decided to take the timing cover off of my old one and the guide had snapped and slid down - same issue.
I had already planned on replacing all of the guides anyway, so I took off the cover on the 65k engine, and found the exact same issue with it as well.

I bought OEM guides. Not sure if they redesigned this at some point, but the material on the guide itself is a black now and the clip at the top seems thicker?
Hope it holds up.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,657 Posts
That's interesting. I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as the plastic on the guide itself holds up.

I'm in the process of swapping engines. My old engine had 219k. I'm swapping it for one out of an 05 Maxima that has 65k miles
Decided to take the timing cover off of my old one and the guide had snapped and slid down - same issue.
I had already planned on replacing all of the guides anyway, so I took off the cover on the 65k engine, and found the exact same issue with it as well.

I bought OEM guides. Not sure if they redesigned this at some point, but the material on the guide itself is a black now and the clip at the top seems thicker?
Hope it holds up.
They did indeed change the guide material, you should be fine for another 150Kmi.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Ahhh I remember doing this repair....thinking "It must start on the 1st try or it never will" lol...couple years later and still no issues at all.

·
Shaving My Shoulders
3,533 Posts
Same here. Running strong. My wife's Altima died and got replaced without a tear. Died Monday, picked up a 2015 Corolla S yesterday. When I die, she'll probably do the same thing.
How many miles on yours now Pen? Sorry about the wife's, and the tear-less replacement - FWIW my wife is the same with it.

Been a while @Penguinchit hope all is well.

·
Super Moderator
4,927 Posts
over one hundred dollar difference at rock auto. is the cloyes timing set worth the extra money?
Sorry man, I'm not familiar with the Cloyes set...

How many miles on yours now Pen? Sorry about the wife's, and the tear-less replacement - FWIW my wife is the same with it.

Been a while @Penguinchit hope all is well.
I'm at a balmy 186k! Runs like a top...Well, I suppose the engine has 50k less because I swapped it at 150k when I blew the head gasket. I don't motor up like I used to...Have to make it last because I really don't want a car payment. But I have decided that I need a pickup or SUV next. I'm still on the housework thing. Getting old man...I might be maturing a bit. I do have a white hair on my chin and some salt on the sides of my noggin!

·
Shaving My Shoulders
3,533 Posts
^We're all getting old bro - sucks but the alternative is no good. Yup, car payment sucks - keep it as long as you can - I'll still keep my eye out for side sills :D

-Best

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. My name is John and I just bought a Nissan Altima 2006 and I am currently hearing this exact noise (maybe not quite as loud) and had a few questions about it. I see here that it could be a few different things. I have done work on cars but this is a little over my head lol but was wondering what kind of time from to I have to work with before getting this fixed and how devastating is it if it does break?

·
Registered
49 Posts
At 172 k miles/275000 kms, I decided it was not worth fixing as it also needed a rad, tires, and a bunch of front end work. Picked up a new Civic a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At 172 k miles/275000 kms, I decided it was not worth fixing as it also needed a rad, tires, and a bunch of front end work. Picked up a new Civic a couple of weeks ago.
I wouldn't blame you. Luckily, my brother is in school for diesel mechanic and I get my car fixed for free as long as I have the parts

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,657 Posts
I wouldn't blame you. Luckily, my brother is in school for diesel mechanic and I get my car fixed for free as long as I have the parts
the timing chain on the 3.5 is a little bit more work than most would think. Certainly the VQ is a far more complicated engine than any oil burner... Might want to make sure your beer fridge is full in addition to having all the parts on hand....is all I'm saying :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
the timing chain on the 3.5 is a little bit more work than most would think. Certainly the VQ is a far more 8complicated engine than any oil burner... Might want to make sure your beer fridge is full in addition to having all the parts on hand....is all I'm saying
That's for sure... This is my first car and the most I've ever done on it that was super hard was changing the spark plugs. Having to take the intake manifold off was definitely a huge first project to tackle...

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a post I put on Nissanhelp forum in March 2017. So far all is quiet in the timing area. Car now has 186000 on it.

While replacing the water pump, on my 2005 Altima, I found the chain tensioner pushing on the wrong part of the arm as many have described on here. I made this bracket to keep the plastic piece from slipping down. The tensioner goes into a partially drilled hole on the bottom, so I think it will prevent the plastic from moving down. What do ya'all think? I dont want to pull the front cover off and put more plastic pieces in that will fail again. Nissan Altima has 150K on it.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts