The Nissan Club banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,063 Posts
that is travis's car. that car has DE heads with HR pistons. they have to be modified to fit since they hit the valves. not exactly a drop in mod.

·
Still #1 in 2017
2,389 Posts
That modification also ups the compression which is where you see most of the gains.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
why? why not just build the motor thats in the car? the hr motor benefits from the cvtc on both intake and exhaust. when swapped into your car you have to eliminate it on one side. you get a slight increase from the cams but with that money spent you can pick up a set of brian crower cams for 850 and have more power.

you have a lot to learn.

where can i buy brian crower cams for 850, cheapest ive seen is like $1023. and why would you eliminate one side of it? i dont see why you would.

but either way the new altimas with just intakes in some cases are putting down almost 260 whp, now i know thats still the DE motor but they get more power out of the newer engine than we ever could with just I/H. plus the HR responds better to upgrades and revs better than the DE motors. which i dont know if you know helps with aftermarket performance. the main reason why id like to try this is because it's something new that noone else has. iam only gonna do this when i get another car and by that point i wont care about throwing money into this car.

·
never take it to the shop
1,677 Posts
I was just posting that because of the topic. Its better when you can get some of your questions answered with vids. You see how his rpms just dive to redline with no hiccup or drop off between shifts!!! awesome!

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,063 Posts
That car is definately awesome. It revs pretty high and that's with stock valves.

Nismo: your not understanding what I'm saying. You'd need to block off the cvtc on the exhaust because you can't use it. The new altimas come with 25 more hp than the se-r 35 more than the se. The factory changed the way the hp was rated. Keep looking for cams. Once in a while you can find a special price. I'm not giving all my secrets away.

Raising compression doesn't increase hp by much. Finding horsepower depends a lot on your cam and intake setup.

Someone has a built block with higher compression and .020 over pistons with stock heads and cams. He only has a valvejob. With some simple bolt ons and a tune he is only putting down 260whp.

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,063 Posts
Not a bad price for some reputable cams. 350z guys seem to like them. But there is still some cams that are better. Just gotta pay to play.

James give me a call tonight or tomorrow. I know your off one of these days. Gotta talk to you bout some things. I need your expertise.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That car is definately awesome. It revs pretty high and that's with stock valves.

Nismo: your not understanding what I'm saying. You'd need to block off the cvtc on the exhaust because you can't use it. The new altimas come with 25 more hp than the se-r 35 more than the se. The factory changed the way the hp was rated. Keep looking for cams. Once in a while you can find a special price. I'm not giving all my secrets away.

Raising compression doesn't increase hp by much. Finding horsepower depends a lot on your cam and intake setup.

Someone has a built block with higher compression and .020 over pistons with stock heads and cams. He only has a valvejob. With some simple bolt ons and a tune he is only putting down 260whp.

no i understand what your saying i would have to block it off, but what I dont get is how you came to that conclusion? both altimas motors are mounted in the same places and there the same size motors

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,063 Posts
You have to block it off because a sensor plugs in a hole in the HR heads. It won't be used if you swap them in a DE car. If you don't cap it you'll probably have oil spewing out. Only way to get it to work is if you get a computer from a HR and wire everything in. Which wouldn't be a good bang for the buck. Id rather get cams and a utec and have more power for less money than the cost of STOCK HR heads and a custom factory engine harness.

Any shop that has a reputation for building vq's will know what I'm talking about. Just don't expect to dish out a few hundred bucks for stock HR heads n expect gains. Huge gains at that.

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,063 Posts
SerIf your ious about building an engine you would ask people who have cams. Look online and see the gains recorded from cam instalss. If you were dead serious you'd get spec cards and take them to an engine builder. Then again most people on this forum are all talk and hype.

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,063 Posts
lol your lucky im in a good mood (you can thank my girl :brow: lol).

ill say this: all three are very reputable companies. jwt has always been a popular choice for nissans. most maxima/altima guys still use JWT. lately a lot of 350z guys have been leaning toward brian crower.

what ever you can get a good deal on i would opt for. get ready for ~$1500 install price.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
SerIf your ious about building an engine you would ask people who have cams. Look online and see the gains recorded from cam instalss. If you were dead serious you'd get spec cards and take them to an engine builder. Then again most people on this forum are all talk and hype.

well ive seen nismo and jwt cams dyno about 15whp. havent heard much about brian cower but iam guessing they be the same. just wanted to know what other ppl had and how they liked them.

you dont need to go to a engine builder if you know what you want to do. i know what i want to do i just need to see what cams ppl have used and there experiences with them.

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,063 Posts
Lol your right you don't need to go to a engine builder. But then again that's why people don't have 300+whp. Some people think they know everything.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Lol your right you don't need to go to a engine builder. But then again that's why people don't have 300+whp. Some people think they know everything.

i dont know everything, but i know mostly want i want to do in the future with the motor. port an polish the intake and exhaust manifolds, forged internals, cams with springs new valves and such, maybe even upgrade the fuel pump and injectors (dont really need it though). ecu work stuff like that. there really isnt much more you can do unless i went FI or NOS which i dont really wanna do.

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,063 Posts
your headed down the right path but you need more direction. what goals do you have as far as power? just buying parts and throwing it in the car doesnt net you the best power. researching the best part and making sure they all work together is more important than just buying expensive stuff.

why buy forged internals if you arent going to run NOS and/or FI? most of the power you will gain is in the heads. which cams are the best? which cams work better than others? what type of cams do you want 264, 268, 272, 280's? do you need to upgrade springs with the cams you get? if not why spend the extra money? why buy valves is the stock valves are stronger than aftermarket valves? stock fuel pump is more than enough for an all motor build. its enough even for a 100 shot of nos so why waste money? same with injectors.

just research. why spend 15 grand on a motor that puts out 290whp when you can spend 10 grand on a motor that puts out 310whp? its your money homie do what you want.

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts
well ive seen nismo and jwt cams dyno about 15whp.

you dont need to go to a engine builder if you know what you want to do. i know what i want to do i just need to see what cams ppl have used and there experiences with them.
that's peak HP , don't really pay attention to peak HP , pay attention to the whole power curve which is way more important .

research and more research !

think of a goal you want your motor to achieve then work from there .

if you are going to drive your car everyday don't go to radical on the cam's , get something more streetable .

you will need a tune after the cam install , you should think about UTEC .

if you were to install HR heads (which i wouldn't do) you would be silly not to put better cams in those heads before they get installed on your block .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
your headed down the right path but you need more direction. what goals do you have as far as power? just buying parts and throwing it in the car doesnt net you the best power. researching the best part and making sure they all work together is more important than just buying expensive stuff.

why buy forged internals if you arent going to run NOS and/or FI? most of the power you will gain is in the heads. which cams are the best? which cams work better than others? what type of cams do you want 264, 268, 272, 280's? do you need to upgrade springs with the cams you get? if not why spend the extra money? why buy valves is the stock valves are stronger than aftermarket valves? stock fuel pump is more than enough for an all motor build. its enough even for a 100 shot of nos so why waste money? same with injectors.

just research. why spend 15 grand on a motor that puts out 290whp when you can spend 10 grand on a motor that puts out 310whp? its your money homie do what you want.

my goal is pretty much the same as everyone else i would hope, to get as much power out of the power as possible. with forged internals they are lighter and spin faster for the higer revs the motor will be doing,because 6600 dont cut it for me lol. as far as the cams i want the ones that will give me the most hp up top because thats where your gonna need it, which one would that be for our motors 272?. normally its better to get the springs done with the cams because they would keep the valves at the right height for aftermarket cams when you rev higher, i know the fuel pump wont do nothing for my performance but still like to do it. but thats deff not a concern that would be like the last thing id ever do.

but if iam spending 15k on a motor believe me its gonna have more than 290 whp. all this looking around got me thinking about a storker kit. 5k aint bad for forged internals and getting a 4.1L out of the motor. you just got to do some work to make sure everything lines up with the head. but how is the drive ability with that you know?

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts
my goal is pretty much the same as everyone else i would hope, to get as much power out of the power as possible. with forged internals they are lighter and spin faster for the higer revs the motor will be doing,because 6600 dont cut it for me lol. as far as the cams i want the ones that will give me the most hp up top because thats where your gonna need it, which one would that be for our motors 272?. normally its better to get the springs done with the cams because they would keep the valves at the right height for aftermarket cams when you rev higher, i know the fuel pump wont do nothing for my performance but still like to do it. but thats deff not a concern that would be like the last thing id ever do.

but if iam spending 15k on a motor believe me its gonna have more than 290 whp. all this looking around got me thinking about a storker kit. 5k aint bad for forged internals and getting a 4.1L out of the motor. you just got to do some work to make sure everything lines up with the head. but how is the drive ability with that you know?
start your search here :

DIY total N/A backyard build - MY350Z.COM Forums

its not how much you spend , its what and where you spend that money that counts !!!

find a good machinist/engine builder and work out all the details before you buy anything , come up with a game plan then do it . start a thread and post all details of your build . good luck .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
that's peak HP , don't really pay attention to peak HP , pay attention to the whole power curve which is way more important .

research and more research !

think of a goal you want your motor to achieve then work from there .

if you are going to drive your car everyday don't go to radical on the cam's , get something more streetable .

you will need a tune after the cam install , you should think about UTEC .

if you were to install HR heads (which i wouldn't do) you would be silly not to put better cams in those heads before they get installed on your block .

once i do all this work i will have another car but i would like to make it drive ably everyday if need be. what in your opinion is the best streetable cams?

but yup i know iam going to need a tune once those cams are in thats why i havent tuned the car yet cause iam just gonna wait till i get them. so the UTEC for 350Z for sure works on our car? thats mostly likely what i will look into unless something else comes out down the road

21 - 40 of 70 Posts