The Nissan Club banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts
once i do all this work i will have another car but i would like to make it drive ably everyday if need be. what in your opinion is the best streetable cams?

but yup i know iam going to need a tune once those cams are in thats why i havent tuned the car yet cause iam just gonna wait till i get them. so the UTEC for 350Z for sure works on our car? thats mostly likely what i will look into unless something else comes out down the road
do lots of research .

the actual specs of your motor should be decided by you and your engine builder !

usually , the higher the duration the choppier the idle , with any cam upgrade you will most likely have to up your idle by 100-300 rpm . if you want to have a redline over 7000-7100 you will need better valve springs . remember there is more to cams than duration and lift . there are alot more companies that make cams for the VQ35 , also check out Tomei , JWT , Cosworth , HKS , Kelford , etc , if you are going to build it right , build it with the right parts and sometimes they cost a little more .

p.s. wanting to spend all this money , why do you prefer NA and not just go turbo ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
this is all rule of thumb , the actual specs of your motor should be decided by you and your engine builder !

usually , the higher the duration the choppier the idle , with any cam upgrade you will most likely have to up your idle by 100-300 rpm .

stock duration is 240 w/ about 9.5mm lift
nismo r-tune cams are 262 w/about 10.8mm lift
brian crower stage 2 cam is 264 w/ 10.8mm lift

the nismo is a mild street cam with an decent idle , you'll probably want to bump the idle up 100-200 rpm and your car will idle close to stock . the brian crower stage 2 adds just a touch more duration but nothing radical . both the nismo and brian crower stage 2 cams can be used with stock valve springs , but if you want to have a redline over 7000-7100 you will need better valve springs . this is just a little bit about these cams , there is more to cams than duration and lift . there are alot more companies that make cams for the VQ35 .

p.s. wanting to spend all this money , why do you prefer NA and not just go turbo ?

what about the jwt cams? what is the best cams to get 272? ive only seen 1 other company that the ones listed on this thread. idk i feel that our cars already suck at putting the power to ground with the chasis and such that giving it all that power you wont be able to put the power down as well as in a rwd.

thats why iam gonna get a g37 coupe and TT that one lol.:)

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts
what about the jwt cams? what is the best cams to get 272? ive only seen 1 other company that the ones listed on this thread. idk i feel that our cars already suck at putting the power to ground with the chasis and such that giving it all that power you wont be able to put the power down as well as in a rwd.

thats why iam gonna get a g37 coupe and TT that one lol.:)
i edited the post above , read it .

ok , tell us how it goes when you do it .

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
don't forget to check the all motor section of the org. the all motor guys over there really have their shit together when it comes to the fwd vq platform

·
Code Red
315 Posts
When it comes to the internals on the VQ when I go to build my motor Im using all cosworth. I highly recommend it to...

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts
so which ones you thinking would be best?
thats between you and the engine builder , there is no right or wrong answer , the cams will be decided based everything else you do . its a system everything has to work together properly .

do lots of research on the 350z and G35 forums .

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts
When it comes to the internals on the VQ when I go to build my motor Im using all cosworth. I highly recommend it to...
you can never go wrong with cosworth , awesome quality but its real expensive .

wisco pistons and eagle rods are very very good , combine that with a good engine builder and you'll be dam near bulletproof and at a fraction of the price .

DIY total N/A backyard build - MY350Z.COM Forums

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
you can never go wrong with cosworth , awesome quality but its real expensive .

wisco pistons and eagle rods are very very good , combine that with a good engine builder and you'll be dam near bulletproof and at a fraction of the price .

DIY total N/A backyard build - MY350Z.COM Forums

whats the best for the most hp up top the 272 cams right?

i just saw that built, how sick is that man? lol i would love to get just about 310whp from my car.

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts
whats the best for the most hp up top the 272 cams right?

i just saw that built, how sick is that man? lol i would love to get just about 310whp from my car.
like i said there is no "best" cam , based on the total build , what you want to achieve and all the other engine specs you decide on , that will determine which cam is right for you . the amount of lift , the piston design , displacement , the intake manifold you use , the way the heads are ported , N/A or FI , this and more will determine your cam choice . do you only care about HP "up top" or do you want a proper power curve ? what use is a car that makes good power between 5000-7000 and doesn't deliver from 1000-4000 ? strictly drag racing . there is alot to consider and the experience of a good engine builder is worth its weight in gold !!! anyone that tells you different is :crazy:

just because a cam peaks a little more than another doesn't mean its better , do you follow ? the guy on the 350z forum is running a 264 duration cam and he is putting up great power over 7000 rpm , why ? because that's what worked with everything else he did .

why don't you do exactly what the guy from the 350z forum did ? his engine is running great and he did all of the research , but keep doing more research , there are alot of N/A builds on the 350z and G35 forums

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
ya i might just do that. i pmed a few mins ago. doubt ill be able to find the stuff he did for as cheap but i did find the pistons/ rod combo on ebay for about 200 more than he paid.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
even better, your the man! have you seen the Cosworth ported big valve heads? that might look like a good buy if i get the rods and pistons for $1019. i know the 350Z guy didnt port his heads so that will add more power.

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts
even better, your the man! have you seen the Cosworth ported big valve heads? that might look like a good buy if i get the rods and pistons for $1019. i know the 350Z guy didnt port his heads so that will add more power.
maybe it will , maybe it won't :dunno: maybe the 350z guy and his machinist found the heads to flow more than enough , im not exactaly sure . every engine design has its own sweet spot , building engines is not only about making the biggest ports and having the biggest cams , there is so much more involved and sometimes bigger = less . there is a reason top notch companies spend lots of money and time in R&D , they try to find what works best , not what's the biggest .

in proper engine building , having your heads tested on a flow bench is a main step . the factory heads might be real good or only need a little refining , but there is only one way to find out and that to have the heads flow tested and balanced or find someone who did all the work already and will share the info with you .

what is your goal , HP and redline for your engine ?
where do you want to run this car ? road racing ? time attack ? drag racing ? street driving ?
what is your budget to make it happen ?
how much time do you have ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
maybe it will , maybe it won't :dunno: maybe the 350z guy and his machinist found the heads to flow more than enough , im not exactaly sure . every engine design has its own sweet spot , building engines is not only about making the biggest ports and having the biggest cams , there is so much more involved and sometimes bigger = less . there is a reason top notch companies spend lots of money and time in R&D , they try to find what works best , not what's the biggest .

in proper engine building , having your heads tested on a flow bench is a main step . the factory heads might be real good or only need a little refining , but there is only one way to find out and that to have the heads flow tested and balanced or find someone who did all the work already and will share the info with you .

what is your goal , HP and redline for your engine ?
where do you want to run this car ? road racing ? time attack ? drag racing ? street driving ?
what is your budget to make it happen ?
how much time do you have ?
well id like to get atleast the same whp as him if i do something like this. he found alot of good deals, which is prolly what iam gonna do for now. redline would be between 7,300- maybe 8,000. ive seen a guy build a vq motor with some HR parts that reved up to 8k on a sentra! so i guess you can say 8k would be my max goal. id like to keep it under 7k. the 350Z guy found some great deals i doubt ill get but if so than it will be alot cheaper.

this wont happen for a while iam gonna keep looking around for deals like he did and also research what would best to get the most power.

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts
this wont happen for a while iam gonna keep looking around for deals like he did and also research what would best to get the most power.
before you buy parts make sure you find a good engine builder/machinist , don't just start buying parts you got on sale . as you and the builder work out a game plan , you will know the exact specs of the parts you need then you find the proper company that makes these parts , after that you look for the best sale .

here is the approach i suggest :
1. do your homework
2. then research more
3. do even more homework until you feel your an expert
4. take you vision to a real expert
5. work out a game plan
6. carry out the plan .

make a thread on your full build , full with pics .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
before you buy parts make sure you find a good engine builder/machinist , don't just start buying parts you got on sale . as you and the builder work out a game plan , you will know the exact specs of the parts you need then you find the proper company that makes these parts , after that you look for the best sale .

here is the approach i suggest :
1. do your homework
2. then research more
3. do even more homework until you feel your an expert
4. take you vision to a real expert
5. work out a game plan
6. carry out the plan .

make a thread on your full build , full with pics .

lol well of course iam not gonna just buy parts for the hell of it. now i need to go find a good engine builder. which is gonna take some time itself. lol

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
2,559 Posts

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,063 Posts
So if your going to tt a g37 why the **** would you ask dumb ass questions about going n/a?

272 won't net you more power than 264's. The power in 272's will come on later in the power band. Depending on how your motor is built and what its built for depends on cam choice. This would be an easy decision for your engine builder. Since your to good for an engine builder and know what your doing I can see why your asking a million and 1 questions.

Stroker kit isn't a great idea. Supposedly the block has to be notched so the rods don't hit etc.

You need to do a lot of research. Doesn't seem like your that knowledgeable about building a vq. Your going to waste a lot of money on useless shit. Bigger fuel pump isn't necessary. Depending on your cam choice stock spring would work fine. Also depending on how high your redline is.

If your serious about any build do your homework and tons of it. Not everyone can spoon feed you answers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
here is another guy with a N/A VQ build , he's putting down 320 WHP and i believe he is revving over 8000 rpm with wiseco pistons and eagle rods .

the build :
NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :) - MY350Z.COM Forums

he did a lots research .

yesssiirrrr. it looks like he ported and polished this heads maybe thats where he got his extra power. either way i like that alot. sounds great, thats ideally what i would what.

So if your going to tt a g37 why the **** would you ask dumb ass questions about going n/a?

272 won't net you more power than 264's. The power in 272's will come on later in the power band. Depending on how your motor is built and what its built for depends on cam choice. This would be an easy decision for your engine builder. Since your to good for an engine builder and know what your doing I can see why your asking a million and 1 questions.

Stroker kit isn't a great idea. Supposedly the block has to be notched so the rods don't hit etc.

You need to do a lot of research. Doesn't seem like your that knowledgeable about building a vq. Your going to waste a lot of money on useless shit. Bigger fuel pump isn't necessary. Depending on your cam choice stock spring would work fine. Also depending on how high your redline is.

noo iam keeping this car and gonna get a g37 coupe down the road and TT it.

i know how to build the motors as in what you would need to get/use but i dont know which way I want to go because there so different parts and sizes and stuff like that, you know? relax i never said i was gonna do fuel pump, said i wanted to but thats not in my thinking when it comes to building a car trust me. it would deff be better to get new springs if i want to go above 7,600rpms.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts