The Nissan Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Proud '02 owner
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's all this stuff is new to me and I want to start doing some mod's to my car. Can someone clear this stuff up for me? Is a POP charger the same as a CAI (cold air intake?) and why would I want a WAI (warm air intake?). Thanks

·
Hatian Sensation
114 Posts
I pretty sure

I'm pretty sure that a pop and cai are the same thing, but even with wai you can still get more air into the engine so you get more hp

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
As I understand things
Warm air is sucking air in the engine compartment
Cold air gets the air from directly outside the car.

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
The colder the air, the more oxygen, thus beter combustion. Who sez I am not paying attention around here.

NOw about NOS......

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
rpny said:
CAI have better improvement with torq/hp in the middle of the T/H curve, wai or pop have more towards the low end.

rpny.
You got it backwards.

Cold air good for low to mid.

Warm air good for mid to high.

·
yeah ?
168 Posts
flarearrow

how you figure, if the intake (wai) is that close to the engine, you would see improvements in the first few thousand K( the lower band), the cai on the other had, is some distance from the engine so it would need to travel more to the engine before mixing with fuel and combusting.. takes time so the higher bands would get affected ..

?

rpny.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I`ll say that CAI is better than WAI... On my previous car, I first used WAI (AEM) with a new exhaust, and I saw a diff of 14 horsepower on the dyno. When I changed the WAI with a CAI, I saw an increase of 4 horsepower, for a total of 18 horsepower... but as someone said, no CAI are available yet for the Altima.

·
Proud '02 owner
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CAI

Benny said:
I`ll say that CAI is better than WAI... On my previous car, I first used WAI (AEM) with a new exhaust, and I saw a diff of 14 horsepower on the dyno. When I changed the WAI with a CAI, I saw an increase of 4 horsepower, for a total of 18 horsepower... but as someone said, no CAI are available yet for the Altima.
I know they don't make one yet, but I hope someone does....soon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got my Injen CAI for my 3.5 via NISMO yesterday.

Well packaged, all parts accounted for, very nice build quality, excellent detailed instructions, de-install/install took me a shade under 40 minutes, next time (like when I go back to the dealer for another recall) it'll be more like 20, gotta be careful that first time.

It's much more responsive when you hit the gas! It's also getting better mileage:

1-1k 24.6 mpg
1-2k 26.1 mpg (more Hwy, no morning warm ups)

50 miles mixed driving since I put it in: 26.8 mpg

My estimate of HP gain is 12 +- 3

I was planning on waiting until my exhaust feel off, but, that may be hard, once a really fine system hits the market, I'll probably buy, with that I could actually get into 27-28 mpg bracket, and still be smoking Bimmer 330's, TT's and Boxter's...

It's quiet when you are just going along, a tad more deep rumble.
When you are doing medium accel it's noticable, but if you were listening to music at medium volume, all you'd get would be the vibration, not sound.
At high acceleration it's loud, my previous experience says that if the exhaust is modified that it'll actually quiet down a bit. It's OK, after a few weeks I'm sure I'll hardly notice.

w

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.