The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Like a Villain
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think my rotors are warped because when i brake my steering wheel shakes. i do plan on changing them, just not now because i'm saving my money for nopi. how long can i drive without causing some major damage

·
Banned
0 Posts
IgNiTe said:
i think my rotors are warped because when i brake my steering wheel shakes. i do plan on changing them, just not now because i'm saving my money for nopi. how long can i drive without causing some major damage
I wouldn't do it long at all....its a dangerous thing to do.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
781 Posts
Re: Re: warped rotors

djsassan said:

I wouldn't do it long at all....its a dangerous thing to do.
Well, you can try to fix it yourself... I had warped rotors before, and I think I fixed them... Here's what I did:

Find a freeway offramp that has a straightaway (the one I chose had a stoplight at the end).

Get off the freeway as fast as possible, and brake really hard at the last moment (be careful not to lock up) to stop at the end the straightaway (this heats up the rotor) but try not to come to a complete stop... and don't turn whiile braking.

Do this repeatedly.

I did this about 5 times, and the steering-wheel vibration went away. :D

·
Hiiiigh Rollin!
103 Posts
thats a dumb idea if ive ever heard one id check the alighment thats the first thing cause thats what it sounds like to me if you had a warped rotor you would hear it and it prob wouldnt be both rotors at the same time and if it is your rotor then id have it re-surfaced soon its only like 40 bucks but could save your life breaking real hard is just gonna tear up your pads and prob warp the rotors even more but its your car well hope this helps -Jon

·
Banned
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: warped rotors

PT said:

Well, you can try to fix it yourself... I had warped rotors before, and I think I fixed them... Here's what I did:

Find a freeway offramp that has a straightaway (the one I chose had a stoplight at the end).

Get off the freeway as fast as possible, and brake really hard at the last moment (be careful not to lock up) to stop at the end the straightaway (this heats up the rotor) but try not to come to a complete stop... and don't turn whiile braking.

Do this repeatedly.

I did this about 5 times, and the steering-wheel vibration went away. :D
and if your rotor warps worse? if your brakes lock? if you slam so hard that you lock the calipers?

·
Tofu Shop Owner
781 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: warped rotors

Well, if he's not comfortable doing what I suggested, he doesn't have to. I didn't say that he HAD to do this! Geeez. I'm just saying that when I warp my rotors at the AutoX's, this is what I do to straighten them out... but then because I AutoX my car, I probably know its braking limits better than you guys, which is probably why I can do this without locking up or getting myself killed. :p

Where do you go to get your warped rotors resurfaced??? Resurfacing a warped rotor is not going to get rid of the fact that it's still warped... in fact, while they're resurfacing, they mechanics will probably come back and tell you that your rotor is warped, and probably recommend that you buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: warped rotors

PT said:
Well, if he's not comfortable doing what I suggested, he doesn't have to. I didn't say that he HAD to do this! Geeez. I'm just saying that when I warp my rotors at the AutoX's, this is what I do to straighten them out... but then because I AutoX my car, I probably know its braking limits better than you guys, which is probably why I can do this without locking up or getting myself killed. :p

Where do you go to get your warped rotors resurfaced??? Resurfacing a warped rotor is not going to get rid of the fact that it's still warped... in fact, while they're resurfacing, they mechanics will probably come back and tell you that your rotor is warped, and probably recommend that you buy a new one.
Heehee...sorry people, but I hafta agree with PT on this one...If you're cheapy and don't want new rotors, this's the way to go. And resurfacing...how much material do you think is on a rotor? Definitely not enuf to stop the wobbling.

Checking other things besides rotors is a good idea. Warped rotors is very obvious...wheel shakes, car shakes, car stuters when braking lightly cuz the pads grip some parts and not others, makes noise, blah blah.
Jay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Decent price?

Whats a decent price on new rotors anyways? I had my brakes inspected at Midas and they told me my rotors were bad...My pads too..but I know my pads are shot...i need to replace those anyways so im not shocked about that...(what should i expect...80-100?) But they told me my rotors as well should be replaced......I was told the diameter was fine, its just that they were getting rust along the edges of them....Is this bad? Seems to me this would be somewhat normal and what not. But they told me if I put new pads on those old rotors...the rotors will just eat the pads up in a month.

They quoted me about about 380-400 for new rotors parts and labor...(pads seperate) Isnt this a tad high? I was expecting 250-300.....am i wrong?

·
dismember
9,326 Posts
400 is too high if it dont includin the pads.

·
Registered
475 Posts
why not do it yourself. Replacing the rotors and pads is one of the easiest things you can do. You can get OEM replacement rotors for like 30 bucks each, and pads for under 100$ a pair, If you go really cheap you can do it all for under 100$ on a 1999 with new pads and rotors, but i'd spend the money on nissan pads.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
781 Posts
Replacing rotors is like a 30-minute-per-side job... at least that's how long it would take me. :) If you were in SD, I'd say to you:

Buy the Rotors, bring the car to my house, or I can drive to your place if you want to gimme food/drink, and I'll have it done for you in no-time. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Really? Hmmm, thanks alot for the help guys...I think I found a buddy of mine that will do it for me...I appreciate it.

Josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.