The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could a car wash be recommended for washing a new car? Will the car wash brushes damage the finish, or do I need to only hand wash it? Just curious what you folks think, thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would never take it through one of those. You never know what's been on those brushes or if they ever get cleaned or replaced.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Could a car wash be recommended for washing a new car? Will the car wash brushes damage the finish, or do I need to only hand wash it? Just curious what you folks think, thanks!
Yes, my paint is damaged from just twice through automatic car washes. I go to a manual car wash now and use the bubble brush and spray hose. Two towels to finish the job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a great way to go is the "touchless" car wash drying off with your own microfiber towels!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I think a great way to go is the "touchless" car wash drying off with your own microfiber towels!
I would do it more than the other brushes car washes .

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
No, they usually contain harsher cleaning chemicals that are not so good for your paint over a longer period of times.

Reactions: BPuff57

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
True CrisisX1 , but better than brushing car washes .

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I know Superbad & CrisisX1 It s what I used to do before got hit in car accident ( aggravated shoulders & lowerback issues ) , but given the choice between car washes I would take the touchless car wash .

Autogeek s a great place to learn car detailing . It s where I learned a lot .

·
Registered
364 Posts
The paint on Nissans is soft, and damages easily. This is actually a GOOD thing when it comes to polishing out imperfections. I found a paint transfer on our Altima's back bumper this weekend, and was able to polish it off easily.

The bad news is that automatic car washes damage paint. Period. The brushes introduce microscratches (or worse), which will become worse over time until you eventually notice a "dullness" to your paint. The only way to remove swirls is to level the paint through polishing, which is either time consuming or expensive, depending on whether you do it yourself or have someone else do it.

I've been into car detailing for over 20 years now, and have an arsenal of detailing products. Trying to keep a daily driver up to a detailer's standards will drive you crazy. My solution is to choose colors that hide swirls easily (e.g. silver) for daily drivers, and just let it go. I use an automatic car wash for my Altima, because it's driven constantly and I just don't have the time to worry about it. At this point in my life, I only obsess over a car that is garaged and not driven on a daily basis.

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts

Our local automated car wash uses a "felt" or velvet type of cloth that cleans the car. It is much better than the old nylon ones. My Altima goes through it once or twice a week and the paint still looks good after a year. This is one reason I recommend white or silver for anyone buying a new daily driver.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
If you're looking for help on how to maintain your car's paint, this is likely not the forum for it. Typical car forum members (with the few exceptions who posted great advice in this thread) have no idea how to maintain paint correctly.

autogeek.net - join the forum and learn the right way

Otherwise...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts

Our local automated car wash uses a "felt" or velvet type of cloth that cleans the car. It is much better than the old nylon ones. My Altima goes through it once or twice a week and the paint still looks good after a year. This is one reason I recommend white or silver for anyone buying a new daily driver.
Going through an automatic car wash once or twice a week... for a year... TRUST ME, your paint is NOT good.
It is just less noticeable to the naked eye on white or silver cars. But the damage is there as equal as a black car ( black paint just shows imperfections much more)

Reactions: BPuff57

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
As mentioned by someone else in this thread, I use the two bucket method. I have a sponge for tires, one for the lower half of the car and one for the rest. I fully detail my car 3 times a year (every four months) with touch ups in between. I wash it every week weather permitting as well. I use the touch-less washes in the winter but only the basic package (the ones around here have 4 levels) so that it just gets sprayed on with water and some soap, I never really trusted the other additives/cleaning chems in the "higher" packages. My front end has some regular wear and tear, chips here and there but I touch them up. My paint otherwise is pretty much flawless; no swirls or scratches.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is just getting more and more confusing, i just read that the touchless car washes use chemicals so harsh the owners wont even wash there own car in it. I guess i will join autogeek for further knowledge but this is crazy. I am in an apartment i don't have a hose, a back yard etc. I just want to wash my car and protect my finish. But with all the detailing products, soaps, the right mitts, grit guards, synthetic chamois, etc it's all way to confusing!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Join Autogeek to get some excellent wash/dry/wax advice.

2 bucket method here.

As stated above, white and silver are great at hiding imperfections. Due to water restrictions here in CA I have been using the drive-thru power washes. I go during off hours so I can do a thorough job and not get hassled by the shop keeper lol.

I only use their water. My soap, sponges and MF.

Wife has taken it through the touchless bay once and was soundly chastised.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts