The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dreamer
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spotted lots of black ice forming on the highways at night (NSP especially). Be on the look out if you are a night driver!

·
I'm The Orange Member
2,085 Posts
last night i was driving the orange xterra with the 23's and i was taking a turn at 40 "ramp to get off the highway), and there was black ice on the grown , i couldnt brake so i hit it and since i was turning i drifted almost into the guardrail. i almost dented the 23's

·
Sarcastic Member
3,548 Posts
ABS sucks,this morning I admit I was driving pretty fast, about 40mph, and I was attempting to make a left turn into a parking lot, and I hit the brakes and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I slid on some slush & snow the plows pushed into the streets. By the time my ABS had so called done its job, I was 10 feet past the entrance where I was suppose to turn left :( I didnt think I was ever gonna stop. I hate ABS, one thing I give it is, it straightens your car up nice when your sliding. I can feel my back trying to fall into place normally when I stop quick over icy or snowy roads.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
Lets face it, if you're f*cked, you're f*cked, ABS is no miracle worker. It actually extends your braking distacce but gives you more control. This is the first car I've ever owned with abs and I was sold the first time I dodged a black lab at 45 mph. That car was braking so hard it was able to lock up on dry summer pavements with it's 17"s. If it wasn't for abs that lab would have been inhilated.

IMO, abs can't be beat in the snow/ice/sand climates. Compared to our Sentra which doesn't have ABS my car is much more predictable in the snow and ice while braking hard even though they both have aggressive snow tires. You have to realize with the abs you mash it and stay on the brakes, it goes against everything the world has told you to do in the past. The first storm we had I took both cars to a parking lot and f*'d with them until the cops showed up and told me to leave. The harder you hit the abs and stay on them, the better the car reacts.

·
Liquid-Ink Venom Kit!
2,307 Posts
you have to drive slower and keep your foot on the gas....keep the wheel moving....and dont brake too much....down shifting is goot but it can make you skid too....just depends....ice is ice...if you start to lose it you're done....my driveway is a shet right now.:)...gotta love winter.

·
4,020 Posts
I love my ABS, every car I have ever owned has had it, but when I drive my friends cars, it drives me crazy they don't. And I don't know who told you ABS makes your stops longer, because that isn't true. 90% of the time, under hard braking ABS will stop you in a shorter distance. ABS pumps your brakes 100 times faster then humanly possible. That is what makes it so great.

·
Bosnian
863 Posts
I dunno, I still rather control the breaks myself. ABS might be good for people who panic quickly and just mash on the breaks, but not for me.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
On dry pavement, a car locked up without ABS will stop in a shorter distance than a car with ABS. Locked wheels provide the most resistance which equals greater braking power however, you sacrafice some control though when you locked up.
ABS might be good for people who panic quickly and just mash on the brakes
That is where abs is at it's best.

I'd never take a car to a track with abs but with all the idiots that think they own the roads, I'll take every advantage I can get to avoid a costly accident.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts