The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a small problem which is creating a swamp in my trunk. This is not good since I use my trunk all the time.
I'm not sure where the leak is coming from, but I know there is a leak. My trunk carpet is all wet.

Question? Where should I begin looking for this leak? Spoiler? Tail light? Rubber that runs along the trunk? ***shrug*** not sure where to begin.

Lastly, I was under the impression that the trunk had a drain hole or something. Is that true? Cuz water is definitely not draining out.

Ernie

·
Killa_Stroke
296 Posts
check the sealant around your tail lights... i could be leaking from there ( i had a leak before and thats where it was coming from). remove that cover so you can see the backside of your tail light. if you see water on there it's probably leaking from there. hope it's nothing serious....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I checked under the spare tire and I found two drain holes, but they were plugged up with rubber stoppers. Should I remove them?

As for the tail lights, I'll check when I get a chance. Btw, I'm going to pick up some sealant. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
yeah you should remove the plugs to get the water out, an easy way to check for openings is shine a flashlight around the outside of the tail light edge while your looking inside, then you know where the leak is(if its coming from there, which most likely that is the case)

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
get a friend to hose the trunk area... flip the rear seats down and crawl into the trunk..

then look.
9/10 times its the lights

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, only the middle section folds down. Anyways, I'm going to pick up some silicone tomorrow on the way to work and re-install the clears tails. Shouldn't take too long.

Hopefully, this cures my swamp problem =P

Ernie

·
8,112 Posts
I have the same leaking problem with my clear's. I use duct tape becuase I switch my tails for winter and for inspection.

Dont feel like using silicone for each time I take them off and what not.

Oh and are you coming to the Albany meet on the 26th and 27th? More than welcome to join. Here is the link to say if your going.

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=91841&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

·
sittin on chrome....
503 Posts
its the clears, just got mine sealed again finally. best way to check a leak is to open the trunk and pour water in the crack on the top of the taillight between the taillight and body, then look at the back part inside the trunk around the seal for seeping water.

·
Registered
384 Posts
duct tape

TPhelps155 said:
I have the same leaking problem with my clear's. I use duct tape becuase I switch my tails for winter and for inspection.
I never thought about it but this sounds like a very good idea. Are there any reasons not to duct tape the tailights for seal? (obviously it is something you would use on the interior of the trunk area)

·
8,112 Posts
It dosnt look to great when showing off your system which I dont care about. And when you take it off it leaves glue behind but it can be takin off no problem.

It keep's my trunk clear of water so its fine with me.

·
SUCK MY HAIRLESS GONADS!
3,292 Posts
i got a damn leak too....might work on that tonight while finishing my door panel.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yup, thanks everyone. It was the tail light.

FYI, I ran water over the top edge of the taillight. Initially, pouring slowly didn't spring a leak, but after gradually increasing the rate and amount of water I poured, the leak was easily found.

I used some silicone to seal it up. Picked it up at R&S Strauss. If you plan to fix a leak, pick up two bottles. One wasn't enough. Anyways, to ensure the seal was tight, I poured water over it again.

Now, I can work on cleaning the trunk up. It's pretty nasty.
Again, thanks everyone to your assistance.

Ernie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts