The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and i have the haynes manual but...

How long did it take to replace the pump though for anyone who did it themself? Could i do it in an afternoon? I've replaced a bunch of things on my car including stuff like CV joints so i know what im doing for the most part.

Time Estimates?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did it over a period of two days but I have kids and have to baby sit when wife goes to work.We have 3 vehicles also,but if I had to guess I would think it would take you about 3-4hrs if you took your time.Remember those shops have air tools.Use your haynes but you DO NOT have to touch ac compressor/bracket.There are 3 big bolts holding the alternator bracket(17mm I think)that require alot of torque to break loose.The hardest part for me was lining up the pump pulley bolts after the new pump was installed.My hands are huge so you may not have a problem.The space between pump/pulley and frame is tight.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasnt too bad, took about 2 1/2 hours. The worst part was when i got it all back together, i realized it was actually the idler pulley making the noise, not the water pump. So i get to go back in there and fix that as soon as i get the idler pulley from the nissan dealer. Life is so much ezier if you just remove the top engine mount also for replacing the water pump, and i just left the a/c compressor alone. You can then move the engine around using a jack on the oil pan.

Thanks for the input for anyone who responded.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah I knew it was my pump because water started leaking out of the hole on the underside of it.When that happens the bearing seal has failed.Idler pulley is a 10-15 min. job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts