The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

So a couple days ago while I was driving to my university, I heard a loud and consistent knocking which was seemingly coming from right underneath the car a little behind the center console. It seems to occur during colder conditions and dies away after the car warms up post 5 minutes of driving. It happens every first 5 or so minutes of my morning drive to my university and then goes away, and I'm afraid if I ignore it, it might get worse later down the line and become I'll be faced with a large bill from an auto shop if it already isn't one, which would be distressing. I've checked underneath the car and nothing seems to be loose or dangling around the area of where the knocking is coming from.

Anyone know what could be causing it? Any sort of advice would be of significant help, huge thanks!

(2007 Nissan Versa SV CVT)

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Does it change in sync with engine rpms? If so, that could be a 'big end' bearing issue (bearing on the end of the crank shaft). If that's what it is...your engine is basically toast.

If it changes with how had the engine is working then it could be exhaust parts (ie knocks under acceleration, quieter on deceleration) or engine mounts or transmission mounts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd check all the exhaust shields. When I test drove my 2016 Versa on a used lot there was a noise from underneath. When I got back from the test drive I found there was enough play in the exhaust at the rear of the car that it was bumping an exhaust shield causing a continuous roar from underneath. I told them about it and they repaired it prior to me buying it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts