The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to the muffler place in my area to check how much they would charge me to do a custom-catback wit a 2.5 piping. The guy wanted to take a look at it cuz he thought that it wasnt possible so he checked it out, and guess how much he said it would cost me???? 350 frickin dollars!!! damn yo does anyone think it is worth it? also, can someone explain to me wat exactly is mandrel bent? cuz i told him that and he started talkin bout the pipe being bent and that he couldnt do it! i thought mandrel bent is when the mufflers stick out to a side?!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I think that's too much, hell you can buy a custome cat-back system for maybe 50-100 more. And mandrel bending is basically a machine they use to bend pipes, he he couldn't do it that means he doesn't have the machine.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SIR NUPE A LOT said:
I think that's too much, hell you can buy a custome cat-back system for maybe 50-100 more. And mandrel bending is basically a machine they use to bend pipes, he he couldn't do it that means he doesn't have the machine.
yea he told me he had the machine but it couldnt do mandrel bent?! so it bends pipes so if he cant bend the pipe then wat, he cant do it at all?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
mandrel is basically a method of bending pipes. It maintains the pipe diameter on the inside so the 3 inch piping is consistant even through the bends. With normal bending those bends become narrow ruining the flow.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chulo15157 said:
i wonder how those people stay in bussiness.... i wouldn't let them touch my car...
damn i didnt know meineke was bad! i thought they were a good company! yea i thought that was a lil expensive also! well the votes are in, meineke is off the list, now i got to find another muffler shop around here! thanx ppl

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, madrel bending using sequential bearings I believe to bend the piping. I doesn't 'kink' the piping in a bend. Do what the other fellas said and go find an individually owned shop. They will be more willing to work with you on what you want. When I had some exhaust work done on an old truck of mine, I even hung around the bay(I know that's totally against most shop rules for insurance purposes, but I wanted to make sure what was going on) and watched them put everything on and made sure the exhausts exited and sat just the way I wanted them. I love the local shops that will work with ya.

3,250 Posts
i've been going to my local meineke for the past few years and brought over 20 cars there. i guess it depends where you are b/c these guys there have some serious muscle cars and experience in mandrel bending as well as making custom piping. I just did my downpipe today and they did a great job doing the mandrel bent piping. I'm going next week to finish up the rest of the Y-piping and put on some flowmasters.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok most of u guys said mieneke is crap and now this guy said its the best?! hmm... well i dont know now! i want someone who will get the job done RIGHT! i wasnt worried bout the money really but i think 350 is just too much!

·
The Choc Boy Wonder
2,451 Posts
altima04 said:
i went to the muffler place in my area to check how much they would charge me to do a custom-catback wit a 2.5 piping. The guy wanted to take a look at it cuz he thought that it wasnt possible so he checked it out, and guess how much he said it would cost me???? 350 frickin dollars!!! damn yo does anyone think it is worth it? also, can someone explain to me wat exactly is mandrel bent? cuz i told him that and he started talkin bout the pipe being bent and that he couldnt do it! i thought mandrel bent is when the mufflers stick out to a side?!

Not from phucking meineke...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts