The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
check this out, today i go out and get ready for class and the bitch doesnt start, she cranks but doesnt start, i was like FUCK. when i get back from class she starts right up?...whats up with this? lately my car has been idling at like 5-600 rpms...so i dunno if that has to do with anything?

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Well, lots of things, but not your symptoms. If it cranks and doesn't start, the charging system isn't the problem. Ignition or fuel. Check basic tuneup items. Don't forget Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and idle adjustment, since you mention idle quality problems.

·
Banned
0 Posts
to answer the thread title........the signs of a bad alternator are dim lights, and the brake and battery lights on

·
PHASE 2 las vegas CC
115 Posts
i had i same thing happend too me it's the alterator and i have a 98 altima, i change my and its just fine now.....

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
altiy98 said:
i had i same thing happend too me it's the alterator and i have a 98 altima, i change my and its just fine now.....
were u refering to the dimming lights and junk?

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dood, we didnt mark how far we did it! so i have no idea how much to turn in back!

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Siizzzoooo said:
dood, we didnt mark how far we did it! so i have no idea how much to turn in back!
That is why, shortly after the discovery of fire, man invented the timing light.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bad Battery:
Car won't start, but once jumped will run until the car is turned off.

Bad Alternator:
Car won't start, but once jumped will stall. . .must be jumped again, will stall again. . .it's a cycle :)

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
altise said:
Bad Battery:
Car won't start, but once jumped will run until the car is turned off.

Bad Alternator:
Car won't start, but once jumped will stall. . .must be jumped again, will stall again. . .it's a cycle :)
well it doesnt start this morning again, but when i get back from class around 9 am it slowly turns and then starts...so im guessing its a low charge in the battery or somthing. i added some water to my battery cuz it was REALLY low, actually that reminds me i need to add more, i added a 20oz water to it and it needs more!...i hope thats what it is....whats the damn water for anyway

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you had that much water its probably had it. Too much of the plates have been exposed and thats very bad for any wet cell. No amount of water or charging will bring it back. Best bet is to get a new battery. Those new super duty ones at Walmart (in the yellow case) are very good for the price. Great warranty as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well there is one simple way to find out if it's the alternator. Once you get your car started disconnect the battery. If the car dies your alternator is bad. If it doesn't it's the battery or some other problem. But I am no mechanic. Just something I was told by one. Good luck

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i juss got back from autozone, i had my battery tested and the computer said "bad battery" so i have a new battery now and it started up 1 second after turning the key, so theres no cranking or stuggle to start now... .BUT is there any chance that the Autozone thing could be wrong and my old battery was good after all?..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.