The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it was asked before, but it was erased. I figure if everyone says what they did, we won't miss anything.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Trunk rattle

Ihave a 98 GXE. heres what I did to kill rattle. It is 99% gone now but i am ony doing aobut 135 Db soon to be novice SQ IASCA. Go to lowes. Buy high density foam rubber insulator. It is aobut 2 bucks has a sticky side and a foam side. Go to auto zone buy 2 cans of rubber undercoating spray aobut 3 bucks a can. (same compound as dyna mat spray) off the net buy some generic dyna mat (L-mat, ram-mat) about 10-20 sq feet. Then heres the expensive part buy a Dyna-Mat trunk kit i paid 90 bucks off ebay for mine. Pull out all the carpet and stuff from the trunk of ur car spare tire and all. Use sheets and tape and what ever but cover atleast 1/2 of ur cars exterior w/ the sheets...u dont want black rubber on ur car and cover the interior... garage is best place to apply. coat the whole bootom of the trunk including sides... should all look black.... Now take the generic mat and on the top of ur trunk (the part that opens) fill in the crevics with hand cut peices..... ur trying to make the trunk lid flat. After filling in all the places spray the top of ur trunk... odnt forget to cover all wires and the latch. Now wait for this all to dry aobut 5 hrs. U should have about a 1/4 can of spay left the whole trunk kit and about 8 sq feet of generic mat left. Apply the dyna mat trunk kit to the floor of the trunk... use the origial. DO NOT USE EXTREME OR PREMIUM ON THE SIDES use generic mat on the side walls.... and also use the rest of the generic to cover places no covered byt the original mat. Spray over the generic mat on the side walls na any places not covered twice on the floor of the trunk. U should have about 3 sheets of dyna mat Xtreme left no spray and no generic. The trunk lid should be about flat from the generic and spray. apply the rest of ur dyna mat to the trunk lidput the extreme on first it holds better than the premium. This stuff shirnks and compresses when it applies so after it is dry use the premium... cut it lil big and apply over the extreme. Ur whole trunk should now be covered. Let it dry over night. I used all my spare peices on the gas fuel door and licencse plate. I used carpet padding on the back of my licesnce plate. This is aobut the most effective way to kill rattle..... U can als use 3x expanding foam... but be carefull. This application will take aobut a day and cost about 130 bucks not bad when crutch field sells the kit for 130...... have fun.

·
Registered
401 Posts
yup-just cover your whole shit in dynamay. the only thing i did different was i use that expanding foam (called great stuff-found at any hardware store) on the trunk lid skeleton. if you use it BE CAREFUL. i used what seemed like not a lot b/c i wouldnt want it to overexpand, but it did anyway and it slightly deformed my trunk lid, if you look at my lid in the light at an angle it looks wavy in spots now, not really noticeable but i have the stock champagne color-if i had a darker deeper color or a good paint job it would really suck. one other thing i did that helped a lot was i filled the big empty space between the trunk and fender (youll know what im talking about if you have all the trim out of your trunk) with expanding foam

·
Registered
336 Posts
igoskool516 said:
yup-just cover your whole shit in dynamay. the only thing i did different was i use that expanding foam (called great stuff-found at any hardware store) on the trunk lid skeleton. if you use it BE CAREFUL. i used what seemed like not a lot b/c i wouldnt want it to overexpand, but it did anyway and it slightly deformed my trunk lid, if you look at my lid in the light at an angle it looks wavy in spots now, not really noticeable but i have the stock champagne color-if i had a darker deeper color or a good paint job it would really suck. one other thing i did that helped a lot was i filled the big empty space between the trunk and fender (youll know what im talking about if you have all the trim out of your trunk) with expanding foam
I am also going to fill that area when im done

1 - 4 of 4 Posts