Nissan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 12093 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how much gear oil i need for my tranny. about to order some redline MT-90. anyone know the amount the 6spd takes?

That's not something I'm willing to do, lose power, so this is a moot point.
i wouldn't either, but if someone is that concerned about it, they can easily run a lower octane. I like having close to 270 to the wheels whenever I need it.

·
Destroyer of Clutches
164 Posts
You can run regular in the 3.5, many people here do, the ECU will adjust timing accordingly to avoid knocking. For me the difference of $4 everytime I fill up isn't a big deal. Plus $4.15 for premium? Thats cheap! I filled mine up last week at $4.59 for 93.
Well 87 here in GA is about $3.87 right now, with 93 running 4.25 or 4.15 with 10 cents of at Kroger. LOL~

·
Destroyer of Clutches
164 Posts
i'm trying to figure out how much gear oil i need for my tranny. About to order some redline mt-90. Anyone know the amount the 6spd takes?

I wouldn't either, but if someone is that concerned about it, they can easily run a lower octane. I like having close to 270 to the wheels whenever i need it.
aaaaaaaammmmmmmmeeeeeeeennnnnnn....

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well 87 here in GA is about $3.87 right now, with 93 running 4.25 or 4.15 with 10 cents of at Kroger. LOL~
I've always gotten considerably worse mileage from Kroger gas. No matter if it's 87 in my Altima or 93 in my old A4 it was noticeably less than QuikTrip.

·
Altima FTW
814 Posts
You can run regular in the 3.5, many people here do, the ECU will adjust timing accordingly to avoid knocking. For me the difference of $4 everytime I fill up isn't a big deal. Plus $4.15 for premium? Thats cheap! I filled mine up last week at $4.59 for 93.
Yea the ECU will adjust timing a little bit to avoid knocking, but not enough to account for using a lower octane than recommended. Instead what will happen is using a lower octane will cause preignition and/or detonation. Have fun dealing with potential serious engine damage like holes in pistons, ring damage, bent rods and worn bearings, top ring groove wear, or blown head gaskets. And in extreme cases complete engine failure. So take this guys advice and run regular in the 3.5!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So today aside from changing my tranny fluid, I installed my Racingline STS, and Y-Pipe, as well as my Takeda Air Intake.. Super stoked to finally get them on.

Also installed a new headlight housing on the drivers side since mine was looking pretty hazy/rough, which brings me to my question for whoever may know. After installing the headlight I noticed that my auto window function will roll all the way down on one touch, but will not auto roll up. Is that somehow related to the headlight install? Seems kinda weird to me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
So today aside from changing my tranny fluid, I installed my Racingline STS, and Y-Pipe, as well as my Takeda Air Intake.. Super stoked to finally get them on.

Also installed a new headlight housing on the drivers side since mine was looking pretty hazy/rough, which brings me to my question for whoever may know. After installing the headlight I noticed that my auto window function will roll all the way down on one touch, but will not auto roll up. Is that somehow related to the headlight install? Seems kinda weird to me.
Everytime you disconnect your battery you have to reset the pinch protection feature of the auto-up on your windows. With the window down hold the button to pull it up and continue to hold it for 5 seconds after it's closed to calibrate it. All cars with auto up windows have a simiar reset procedure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everytime you disconnect your battery you have to reset the pinch protection feature of the auto-up on your windows. With the window down hold the button to pull it up and continue to hold it for 5 seconds after it's closed to calibrate it. All cars with auto up windows have a simiar reset procedure.
Nice... thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,453 Posts
^ I ordered amsoil instead. after reading the different testing on it, it was better than redline in everything.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yea the ECU will adjust timing a little bit to avoid knocking, but not enough to account for using a lower octane than recommended. Instead what will happen is using a lower octane will cause preignition and/or detonation. Have fun dealing with potential serious engine damage like holes in pistons, ring damage, bent rods and worn bearings, top ring groove wear, or blown head gaskets. And in extreme cases complete engine failure. So take this guys advice and run regular in the 3.5!
You're a moron. Tell me, what is your experience with the VQ? Obviously not much, in fact you seem to lack knowledge of engines in general. You really think running 87 octane in the VQ is going to cause the damage stated above? If so you're quite possibly the dumbest person on this board. I personally know 3 VQ owners (2 Muranos, and a Maxima) that have run regular since day one with no issues. To add to the fact that using premium is RECOMMENDED on the 3.5 Altima, not required. Yes if you're going to be driving it hard, premium should be used, but for the average driver the difference between regular and premium will not be noticed.

·
Destroyer of Clutches
164 Posts
You're a moron. Tell me, what is your experience with the VQ? Obviously not much, in fact you seem to lack knowledge of engines in general. You really think running 87 octane in the VQ is going to cause the damage stated above? If so you're quite possibly the dumbest person on this board. I personally know 3 VQ owners (2 Muranos, and a Maxima) that have run regular since day one with no issues. To add to the fact that using premium is RECOMMENDED on the 3.5 Altima, not required. Yes if you're going to be driving it hard, premium should be used, but for the average driver the difference between regular and premium will not be noticed.
Buuuurrrrnnnn!!! LOL...:eek:wned:

Thanks for clearing that up though.

I've run 150 shot dry NOS on a stock 5.0 and not done any ring/piston/gasket damage...and I had some pretty bad detonation because of my timing not being retarded enough. Now I blew through spark plugs like crazy, and ran a tad on the lean side, but JC. This guy described the VQ Holocaust, just from running lower octane!!!

Again, thanks for chiming in...some people should stick to what they know.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Filled that bitch up for $74.53. Then drove away from the tornados in Northern VA...to work. I need to start playing the lottery, so I can win a few hundred million and retire.

I Cried all the way to work after paying $4.15/gal this morning for premium.

Damn you 3.5SE!!!! Why is there no fix for the 07' 3.5's to run lower octane??!?!! I keel you!!!:soapbox:
I'd much rather pay the $74 and get optimum performance than save $3 and pay $70 for 87 and feel sluggish. Either way that shit is still expensive.

Agree 100% until you said that. That's what they want us to say. Get us used to paying almost $5/gal then when it goes down to $4, we will be like, "Yeah man, gas is cheap!!!" I would like to dedicate Cee-Lo Green's uncensored version of his latest single "Fuh-Q" to the gas companies.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've run 150 shot dry NOS on a stock 5.0 and not done any ring/piston/gasket damage...and I had some pretty bad detonation because of my timing not being retarded enough. Now I blew through spark plugs like crazy, and ran a tad on the lean side, but JC. This guy described the VQ Holocaust, just from running lower octane!!!

Again, thanks for chiming in...some people should stick to what they know.
I know right? On a stock engine, with todays advanced timing and fuel systems, an engine should have no problem retarding timing enough to safely run 87 octane instead of 91/93, given all sensors are in good working order. Obviously if it starts knocking/pinging you should run higher octane, but the average driver of a VQ equipped Maxima, Altima, Murano, etc. most likely won't drive it hard enough to notice the power loss and to cause any serious detonation. In addition, if you're having pre-ignition issues, I can guarantee there's something wrong with the engine. Running lower octane in an otherwise healthy stock engine, won't cause pre-ignition. In any event, I run 93. $4 difference? Big deal.

Agree 100% until you said that. That's what they want us to say. Get us used to paying almost $5/gal then when it goes down to $4, we will be like, "Yeah man, gas is cheap!!!" I would like to dedicate Cee-Lo Green's uncensored version of his latest single "Fuh-Q" to the gas companies.
haha, I didn't mean it that way, I meant that it's cheap, relatively speaking, compared to gas in the Chicago area. I still think $4.15 is absurd, but I definately couldn't find 93 for that price around here.

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
:lol:

41 - 60 of 12093 Posts
About this Discussion
12.1K Replies
415 Participants
FX-32
Nissan Forums
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing