The Nissan Club banner

12081 - 12100 of 12108 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks very good! I don't see that colour often, there are just very few.
the streets are plagued with silver Altimas 🤣
What struts do you have in there?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yesterday i've got a new y-pipe and catback, all is 0.5" bigger and I can definitely can tell that performance increased notoriously, it breaks traction easier than before (time for better tires).
All piping, oval section, mufflers and resonator's brand is Vibrant, stainless steel.
Sound is very quiet at highway speeds, very deep at lower RPM. Not loud at all under 3000RPM. Also no more scratching on the y-pipe (because of lowering springs). My best purchase so far.

Video's sound quality doesn't represent how nice it sounds in person:

Some pics:
That looks pretty decent.
I am curious about something.

Did you consider doing a true dual exhaust? I feel like there is enough room for a u-bend from the rear bank and enough space for 2 tubes down the tunnel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks very good! I don't see that colour often, there are just very few.
the streets are plagued with silver Altimas 🤣
What struts do you have in there?
Thanks! That color is rare around here too. I have the factory struts still in there. Contemplating putting the the rear eibach springs in, but the factory's aren't bad.

How much power do you think you gained with the exhaust work?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you consider doing a true dual exhaust? I feel like there is enough room for a u-bend from the rear bank and enough space for 2 tubes down the tunnel.
I didn't consider the dual exhaust, I think there isn't enough room for it. It would be very nice to have it, I am curious about how would it sound, but going songle 3" is enough.

Thanks! That color is rare around here too. I have the factory struts still in there. Contemplating putting the the rear eibach springs in, but the factory's aren't bad.

How much power do you think you gained with the exhaust work?
Leave the stock springs, there isn't much improvement in my opinion if you lower the back, it comes very nice stock.

I don't have dyno numbers after exhaust, hthe tuner who made this exhaust said that it's not needed to retune, but it will be needed if I want headers. I've gained 12whp peak with the tune and around 30whp near 4300RPM, BUT I noticed better gains after the exhaust, than after the tune, obviously it won't be 30whp gains but maybe between 10whp and 20whp I guess. The new y-pipe section added up than what would be with the catback alone.
It was done at 2J racing near Atlanta, price was cheap and quality is outstanding. It took 5 days (as scheduled before) but worth the wait and every penny.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I didn't consider the dual exhaust, I think there isn't enough room for it. It would be very nice to have it, I am curious about how would it sound, but going songle 3" is enough.
I keep having in my head thoughts of a true dual. X pipe in the middle, and Borla mufflers. See in this pic why I keep think dual 2.25 or 2.5 will fit? Not my Altima btw.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,737 Posts
Even the above setup has a single pipe run between the seats.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where would you put the resonators?

·
5,737 Posts
I'd be concerned about how close to the floor pan you'd have to position your pipes and the amount of heat transfered directly into the chassis and then the underpadding etc.

If all you are looking for are a few more HP's at redline...then a single fat pipe can be just as good as two smaller pipes...with the advantage of smoother idle and better torque at lower rpms thanks to 'scavenging' (using exhaust pulse pressure differneces to help pull air into other cylinders).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd be concerned about how close to the floor pan you'd have to position your pipes and the amount of heat transfered directly into the chassis and then the underpadding etc.

If all you are looking for are a few more HP's at redline...then a single fat pipe can be just as good as two smaller pipes...with the advantage of smoother idle and better torque at lower rpms thanks to 'scavenging' (using exhaust pulse pressure differneces to help pull air into other cylinders).
I’ve wondered that, too. And there are options like either wrapping the exhaust or jethot coating it.

As far as scavenging, I certainly don’t think bigger is better which we know will disrupt scavenging. All along I’ve been wondering about a diameter for each side of 2” - 2 1/4” I also don’t want to choke each side, but technically they are being chocked now sharing the same pipe lol. I have looked at the specs of true dual exhausts like the HKS for the 350Z, and that one uses 60mm (2.35”) per side. So my initial size diameter thoughts are about in line.

And you have to admit a properly mufflered 350Z sounds pretty extraordinaire. ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quickly saved my 4gen from a side collision.
With how much i've invested I want to avoid any single hit haha

·
Registered
191 Posts
Finished the Poor man's BBK

and the fronts (06 M45 dual pistons). Before and after

and yes...those are the 17x7.5 stock rims.

They don't look it in the pictures, but those dual piston calipers are monsters.
Doug, could you re-upload the pictures? How much clearance do you have with stock wheels? I'm planning to install M45 brakes but I changed my wheels and although they are still 17", they are a bit smaller than OEMs and I'm not sure if those calipers and rotors will fit

·
5,737 Posts
Hey @FX-32 does this help?
20160911_214537.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Very helpful! Thank you! That's a great reference, I have to measure my stock rims vs the actual rims, I think it may barely fit, or maybe a very little grinding of the caliper...

·
5,737 Posts
Whoah...nice rims ;)

Some relative math below might help you calc the radius needed.
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
191 Posts
After measuring and comparing like you suggested, it should fit.
Now I was parked next to a friend that has that exact same size of rotots, with powerstop calipers in his Lincoln SUV, and let me test fit my wheels on his car. They fit, quite close.to the wall but enough clearance to be safe.
Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

·
5,737 Posts
Memories...mine don't look quite as shiny any more!

BTW what's the offset on those rims?? They look a little close inboard on the caliper. Maybe consider a 5mm spacer if the offset is different than stock.
Capture.JPG

·
5,737 Posts
Just checked Google...min clearance (caliper to wheel) is 0.1" or 2mm...I'd go higher if you see dirt roads or ice. I probably had 8-10mm with the stocker 17's.

12081 - 12100 of 12108 Posts