The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting some 18's for alti and I see that most everyone on here that has 18's has a width of 8 but everything I keep looking at is 7.5 or 7. Can anyone tell me what difference they make

·
basso picasso
1,309 Posts
callmejunn said:
I'm looking at getting some 18's for alti and I see that most everyone on here that has 18's has a width of 8 but everything I keep looking at is 7.5 or 7. Can anyone tell me what difference they make
A wider rim will accept a wider tire, allowing for it to fit properly. With a rim up to 7.5", you can properly fit tires as wide as 235. If you want a 245 tire you then need to have an 8" rim. It can be said that a 245 will fit on a 7.5" rim, but there will likely be some bulge causing undo tire wear, and most would not recommend it.

You'll have to decide what width you want. Many here would tell you that a 225/40/18 is too small of a tire for our larger wheel wells, and will be too harsh of a ride. A 245/40/18 on an 8" rim takes up more of the gap and will ride nice as well with the stock suspension.

Make sure you get the right offset, between 40-45mm.

·
basso picasso
1,309 Posts
ALtIbOi02 said:
what is the widest you can go without rubbing on a 8.5 wide rim?
Blake once told me 245 on 8.5 is just fine, given the right offset. It wouldn't stick out too much more. I don't know of anyone going wider than 245.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
hey altimat I pm'd you a while back but do you think 255's will fit on 19"x8.5" wide wheels and of course without rubbing??

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Altimat said:
Altimized02 has 255s on his 19s no problems. PM him for his offset.
oh mah bad I got confused with you and altimized but that guy never gets on or doesent answer his pm's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry

Been bogged down at work all week but thanks for the reply I needed to know that in order to know what type of rim to look for I'm feeling the 8" wide thanks again

·
nismo graphics=30hp
912 Posts
i have 19x8.5 rims, and i have 245/35 tires, i had to get a camber kit for the rear wheels cause i went with Sprint Springs..but i love the drop..and the tires..

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
For an 8" wide tire, the recommended offsets are 44mm and 45mm. Anything else will increase your chances of rubbing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK Guys, can someone define Offset, Backspacing and the following bolt patterns plz?

Bolt Pattern(s)
4x100mm/4x4.5/5x100mm/5x4.5

I did my search and did not find a definitive answer. I'm sure with all the knowledge here, someone knows fersurre.

·
2fast2furiousinNH
1,072 Posts
dbthump said:
A wider rim will accept a wider tire, allowing for it to fit properly. With a rim up to 7.5", you can properly fit tires as wide as 235. If you want a 245 tire you then need to have an 8" rim. It can be said that a 245 will fit on a 7.5" rim, but there will likely be some bulge causing undo tire wear, and most would not recommend it.

You'll have to decide what width you want. Many here would tell you that a 225/40/18 is too small of a tire for our larger wheel wells, and will be too harsh of a ride. A 245/40/18 on an 8" rim takes up more of the gap and will ride nice as well with the stock suspension.

Make sure you get the right offset, between 40-45mm.
Agreed. I decided to go with the Nismo(Rays) rims for our Altima. At 17.6lbs each, they will save a little weight(7-10lbs) over the 17" stock six spoke.

The Nismo rims are 18x8.5 with 45mm offset. I'm planning on putting a 255x40x18 tires on which will be 0.28" inches diameter smaller combo than stock. Which won't seriously throw off the odometer, but will increase the contact tire patch to 10.03 inches wide. An extra 1.57 inches of rubber width .

I believe another member has already done this without any adverse affects.

One of my favorite tire calculators is attached below. Plug in the current tire/wheel numbers versus what you want to buy. Stick with the wider offset through.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Good luck.

·
basso picasso
1,309 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts