The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
racelegal.com
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I did a search but all I could come up with is how to unbolt the old airbox or how to screw it unto the mass airflow or the problems people had after the install. I am about to order a WAI from Alex (SWA) and I was loking under the hood yesterday and I noticed a sensor of some kind that is before the airbox. It's stuck right in the intake tube. What going to happen when I put in the WAI? Is this going to continually throw a check engine light? I did see in a thread someone mentioned to make sure you get the adapter for the air sensor or drill a hole in the filter. Somebody please help....I want to make sure I get the right WAI for my car. I have a 96 GLE auto. Any input would help. Thanks...

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
if it's a stillen, there are hoels drilled in already. if its just a k&n, you're gonna have to drill the holes. all you have to do is open the airbox, take out the filter, there should be about 3-4 bolts exposed , unbolt them, and the airbox should come out. get rid of that plastic pipe that was attatched to the airbox, it's too small and doesnt do much. next bolt on the adapter plate to the maf, bolt on the WAI, and the sensor and you're ready to rock. pretty easy install, should take you 15-30 minutes at the most.

·
racelegal.com
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's gonna be the WAI from Alex, so I guess I just drill a hole in the filter, stick in the sensor and put some silicone around it to hold it in? I have not seen the WAI from Alex so I guess it has a metal top????? If anyone has any pics I think that would help me out, and thank you everyone so far for the help.:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a K&N filter and I just left that sensor where it was, don't notice any effect, I think its air temp, so it should be the same anyway, but no effect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i would definitely NOT cut that wire. that is your air temp meter. without it your car's computer wouldn't be getting the correct temp of the air traveling through your intake and your car won't run as well. just shuv it in between the filter and mass air sensor when you install your wai. theres nothing to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Warm Air Intake Installation Instructions. [1 Gen only.]

I run a 1995 Nissan Altima SE. I've successfully installed my WAI over 3 months ago and it's worked absolutely perfect for me. I have noticed 2 things. First of all, the engine now has a deeper throaty sound to it which sounds great! Second of all, while racing I've noticed that cars that beat me off the start often loose to me now. The intake allows for a higher volume of air to enter the engine compartment at higher speeds so my car usually pulls ahead of most hondas at about the haveway point of a quarter mile. Here's how to do it:

1) Disconnect the positive end of your battery. [doing so shut's the car's internal computer down.]
2) Disassemble the the existing Air intake system all the way up to the Mass Air Sensor. [that's that shiny metal contraption which rests between the stock airbox and the intake manifold. It has several noticable electrical cables running out of it.]
3) Install the WAI system. [this step may get tricky depending on how you do this. I've found that my install required an extra metal bracket which was on the portion of the stock air box. you may luck out depending upon whom you've perchased your WAI from.]
4) Tie down the temperature sensor. [there's an air temperature sensor which sits in the top portion of the stock air box. simply let it hang out or tie it down somewhere outside of the air intake assembly. This will not harm the engine or give a check engine light. If you put this in between the Mass Air Sensor and the new filter it WILL cause the check engine light to come on.]

Tip: A simple twist-tie works wonders here. I've found that things are less complicated if you tie the temp sensor to the accelerator cable which runs near it.

5) Re-connect the battery. [this will cause the computer to take new air readings and adjust the air/fuel mixture accordingly.]

WARNING!: Skiping steps 1 and 5 may cause irreversable engine damage. A car which runs too lean a mixture causes the immense heat. It has been proven that if you do this the heat can burn strait through your pistons. Be Smart, Play Safe...

If by chance I've left something out or given mis-information please correct me. I'd appreciate it because mis-information can be dangerous. Just in case - Thanx in advance.:cool:

·
hard on equipment
714 Posts
I just took the rubber fitting out of the filter, cut a slit in it, ran the sensor wires through the slit, fit the rubber fitting back into the filter, attached filter to MAF, screwed it tight, and voila!

·
racelegal.com
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now I'm :confused: ! Should I put the air temp sensor inside the filter or leave it outside? I was going to stick it inside the filter, but I don't want to screw anything up. I guess it wouldn't hurt if it just stayed outside the filter since that's how it was originally (i mean outside the filter box). Thank you everyone!!! I do appreciate it.:D :D :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
nissan installed the air sensor for a reason therefore i would suggest once again that you just put it in between your filter and maf. thats what i did and have never had any problems with my car at all. no check engine light no nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys,

a lot of worrying about nothing. the sensor in question "is" your air temp sensor. I wouldn't just try to stick it under the filter element somewhere, that'll look crappy. the Stillen intake has a hole in the end that you just push it through. it works like a variable resistor, the colder the air it detects, more resistance it creates which advances the timing. i'm working on a cool air box because you actually defeat the purpose of the better intake because you are sucking in surrounding hot engine bay air. my stillen header really heats up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
pissonhonda said:
hey guys,

a lot of worrying about nothing. the sensor in question "is" your air temp sensor. I wouldn't just try to stick it under the filter element somewhere, that'll look crappy. the Stillen intake has a hole in the end that you just push it through. it works like a variable resistor, the colder the air it detects, more resistance it creates which advances the timing. i'm working on a cool air box because you actually defeat the purpose of the better intake because you are sucking in surrounding hot engine bay air. my stillen header really heats up.
have one acronym for ya.....CAI.

and it doesn't advance timing. if anything, the ecu will send more fuel to the mixture since you need it w/ the denser(colder) air.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.