The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch feels spongy, I figure it is a leak in the line or I have a blown seal somewhere. Is there anything that I need to beware of when taking it in? It is a 93 GXE. Also, for the people who do it yourself, is this kind of work easy to do if you know what your doing?

·
ASE certified wiseass
174 Posts
Spongy.

I assume you mean "spongy" as in, I feel like I step on a sponge.

Most commonly this is due to the hydraulic system for the clutch requiring to be either bled or the fluid replaced. Worst case is that the throw-out arm is sticking or rubbing on the TB guide in such a fashion to give a spongy impression.

if you are a DIY person, bleed the hydraulic system. It should be pretty easy.

Randy

G

·
Ok... I get spongy now... the pedal is not returning to fully disengaged position quickly. Maybe the master cylinder... but try a good bleeding first.

Demmy

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
You have a bad seal in either the slave or master cylinders , Replace them both !!!! I have run into problems when I just replace one of them , usualy the other will go out within a few weeks ...... take a look at the back of the master cylinder ( up by the pedal ) if ther is fluid leaking thats the problem , and look at the slave cylinder if there is fluid when you pull the boot back it is bad , also look at the lines , But I have never seen a problem, with one of the lines on an Altima .....

G

·
Master cylinder doesn't have to be leaking to be bad. If the bellows inside is ruptured, you have no pressure. Does the clutch ever slip (RPM's shoot up) when you are just driving, not using the clutch? This is what my car did when the master cylinder was bad, and it only did it after the engine got heated up pretty good.

Demmy

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Ok, you guys are problaby sick of me posting to really old clutch threads....but at least I did a search!!!
I'm trying to find the 2nd bleeder for the hydrolics. I found the one on top of the tranny that's accessable when standing in front of the car. Then there's another one. I tried to trace the line from the master cylinder but got lost somewhere by the firewall. I can't tell where it is from the diagram in the fsm. Thanx!
Jay

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
thanx. i'll check it tonight.
I kinda spilled brake fluid when I was topping off the reservoir...gotta get that cleaned up too.
Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts