The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuse blew( the one for sidemarker, dash, and tail lights) I smelt something burning when it blew. Every time I replace fuse and turn on lights, it blows. Somone told me I might need a new relay switch. What is it? Where is it? And could this be the problem? Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Its very rare for a relay to go bad. Not impossible just rare. A relay is simply a remote switch that is designed to handle higher amprege.( Any EE's out there feel free to jump in here). You don't want to be running high amprege thru a regular switch and you want to minimize large wire sizes (needed to carry high amprege) as much as possible or to shorter lenghts. Therefore most switches on the dash trigger relays (in essence a larger switch). The wire from your dash switch to the relay can be very small since it takes very little power to operate the relay. Most of the relays in an altima are under the hood and are little black boxes. My guess is you have something in that circuit that is grounding (a short) that shouldn't be. Check all th easy things like bulb sockets and the wires that lead to them that are readily visible. Unfortunately trouble shooting electrical problems are a real bear. I suggest you take it to a automotive shop that specializes in auto electrical and that's all they do. They have large multi-meters that check circuits quickly. Unfortunately these whole bunches of circuits to check. They may charge a few more bucks an hour but they'll find the problem and fix it in half the time a dealer's tech would.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts