The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is CONSULT III, how much is it and where can you get it from?

·
Registered
219 Posts
and if you can, they probably wont be cheap. There are alternatives to get a laptop to do the same thing. You just have to find a connector that will fit your car's diagnostic system and connects to a laptop. The connector will probably be a couple hundred(if there are any), but finding the software is the more important step.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Does this have anything to do with ODB-II? I've seen the software and connectors sold for those.

·
Rub my fender
1,439 Posts
The consult 3 is the improved version of the consult 2 (if you can believe it).

Sure, you can get one. Why not? You can buy the GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, and Snap On versions. I can't imagine why you couldn't buy a nissan one. I would imagine that it will run you about $2,500 for a new one, which would probably have update capability from the manufacturer. OR, you could buy a used one from I have no idea where, and probably pay about 1/2 that.

The only way it would ever be worth it to have it is if you were going to make money off of it, or you were a nissan mechanic.

·
Troll Sniffer
3,685 Posts
OK... a few things:
1) CONSULT III is as previously stated the new Nissan diagnostic tool.
2) It's wireless... no plugs... just uses the existing Bluetooth Connection.
3) It's basically an application running on a Panasonic Toughbook
4) If you could get your hands on an image of the software, you could outfit any laptop with BT to be a CONSULT III - You wouldn't have to pay much for that! ;)

I am definitely going to try to get my hands on one if I can, because that would be a sweet way to play with the car's electronics.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hmm....Could you use the CONSULT III as a normal laptop??

·
Troll Sniffer
3,685 Posts
From my conversation with the Service Manager at my dealership, the laptop is just a normal Windows laptop with some special software, but I haven't gotten a chance to look at one up close yet. I have to work on that.

·
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd
4,007 Posts
I liked the part in the manufacturer's description where it states that using the Consult III will help the dealer shorten the customer's wait time. BIG LOL!

·
Troll Sniffer
3,685 Posts
There are a lot of programs out there that will do SOME of what CONSULT will do, but only CONSULT (and especially CONSULT III) can do EVERYTHING... and a lot of the questions that people ask about would require CONSULT, not just another access program.

·
Majestic '06 3.5SE, 5 spd
4,007 Posts
It says on the Consult III site that it's not for purchase by the general public, but designed by and for Nissan Maintenance shops only. You might be able to get some software aftermarket that may do some of the stuff, but an exact duplicate? Who knows? gtcomp, you're our resident computer genious here, get busy, son. We depend on you for this kind of stuff!

·
Troll Sniffer
3,685 Posts
That's what I'm saying... I'm going to try to get access to the computer software, and see how it works on a normal computer with BT... Stay tuned... ;)

·
Rub my fender
1,439 Posts
I have a built in bluetooth card. Does the car have to have the tech package to communicate wirelessly?

·
Rub my fender
1,439 Posts
I meant a built in BT card on my laptop.

·
Troll Sniffer
3,685 Posts
Do any of the Altima's not have Bluetooth these days? Maybe they are using another "wireless technology" then. I was told by the service manager that he "thought" it was Bluetooth, but it was VERY new then... heck, it still is.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Does the ikey use bluetooth? The communications option includes bluetooth for cellphones, and I didn't get that on my car. But since all Altimas use the ikey, they all have to some sort of wireless tech to "talk" to the key.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was wondering the same thing...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts