The Nissan Club banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
According the Nissan shop manual (but maybe some of the above are more knowledgable) the ConsultIII attaches to the data link connector in the dash, near the hood release handle. That seems to be the same as the OBDII port. Yes, since the Consult system is Nissan specific, it will provide additional info that a "Generic" scan tool will not find. And it can be used to do things like change the timing, read info from the transmission control module, and the body control module. The shop manual has the Consult settings in each step for diagnosis/repair, but it also has instructions for doing diagnosis/repair with a generic scanner, when possible.

This basically covers it. As a Nissan tech, Consult-3 sucks. It takes far longer to boot up, is less portable than 2, doesn't have a built in printer, and has all the drawbacks of a laptop diag system (ie, crashes). The only real plus side over 2 is good (once you learn how to use it) CAN diagnosis. And no, Consult-3 has nothing to do with Bluetooth, nor does the I-Key.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Yeah thanks bro. The car was repaired pretty good, and from the outside you cant really tell but only when u peek in the trunk where the rear speakers are attatched to. This area holding the speakers is obvious that it has been hammered back into alignment. But i'll see how this goes; hope they dont take a peek :D
disable the trunk opening... there's a switch in the glove compartment... then lock the glove compartment... and on top of the back seats... there's a lock on the rear deck... lock that so the seats don't fold down... and there is NO access to the trunk... unless one of those two is unlocked... a little unnecessary... but if you're that worried about it...

but they might still check the vehicle history...

hope that helps....:sad:

and Good Luck...

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is CONSULT III, how much is it and where can you get it from?
CONSULT III is a nissan computer diagnostic tool, it can only be bought from nissan for between $7000 to $10,000. My dealship has 2 and its not realy totaly wireless you have to plug a reciver into the OBD port and then the Laptop comunicates with that, it has a very hard time staying conected. O and its windows based system that crashes constantly. good thing is that u can use it all the way back to just a few of the 07 models...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have this scan tool installed on my laptop. I bought it in '97 to reset the numerous codes thrown by my '96 Chevy/LT1 and later my '96 Firebird Formula. I've used it many makes of cars, including my buddies '05 Maxima. I haven't tried it on my Altima yet, but will this weekend. It will not have the same functions as a Consult, but should take care of any codes after my warranty is expired. Online access to the factory shop manual is a big plus, it's pretty tough to fix code problems without the factory manual.
OBD-2 Vehicle Explorer Scan Tool Browser

·
Registered
8 Posts
My question is with the Consult III will you be able to change things like rev limit, transmission shift points, etc.

·
Rub my fender
1,439 Posts
According to the factory shop manual Consult III is used with the data link (OBD II) next to the hood release handle- it's not wireless.
Here's a link to a site which sells it. Note the cables used.Option list & Pricing
It's supposed to be wireless from the laptop, not to the actual car. Last time I was in for the TPMS reprogram, he was attempting to use it, but failed.

·
Registered
800 Posts
One option to the Consult-III is Augoenginuity. Go to autoenginuity.com and look through their stuff. The basic/generic package is $250 ($210 per ebay) and for an additional $100, you can purchase a Nissan-extended package that you can alter ignition timing, reset AFR, perform the idle-relearn, etc. There are all kinds of Nissan-specific tests you can perform on actuators. I think it has all the body and chassis failure codes. Seems to be a very solid little gadget. I think I'm definitely going to get one.

Not as extensive as Consult-III, but then again, nothing will be other than the CIII.

Late,
Trav

·
Registered
2 Posts
Consult-3 for sale

Brand new Nissan Consult-3 is available for purchase for 6000$ with software locked to Panasonic Toughbook. But I think it can be unlocked to install on any laptop.

·
SpeedLinesAreChasingMe!
1,307 Posts
Link? That's awesome if they do...a bit expensive...they throwing in the Toughbook? :)

·
i make cars go fast..
312 Posts
these posts sound like a scam factory 3 stories up! :liar:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts