The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll just make a list:
Car had been running fine.
I left the car for 2 days and the battery was dead. Nothing was left on.
A jump start, and it starts fine.
I charge the battery fully.
Put it back on the car.
Next morning, dead again.
Try a second battery that I KNOW is good.

Battery is reading a full 12 volts when car is off.
Get a strong 14 when car is on.
Car will still run with battery disconnected.
SOMETHING is draining my battery when it is hooked up. I have disconnected my subs to make sure that isn't them. So now the car is running with only factor wiring.

The only symptom I notice is the Security light on the dash is just 'ON' when I lock the doors. I could have sworn it normally flashes (anyone confirm?).
I do not use my alarm, and I don't have the remote for it right now.

Where do I go from here to finding out what the problem is?

·
Registered
148 Posts
it happened to me before on my Corolla, it turned out that the switch for the trunk light was stuck and therefore the trunk light remained ON all the time. Maybe it's your case, fold the rear seats back and see if your trunk light is ON

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
phatmonky said:
The only symptom I notice is the Security light on the dash is just 'ON' when I lock the doors. I could have sworn it normally flashes (anyone confirm?).
Mine blinks.

What year is your car?

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
You could buy a clamp-on DC ammeter, and with the key off, measure the drain at the battery. Then pull fuses one at a time until you see the load drop.
PS - good clamp on DC ammeters are not cheap. Maybe you can borrow/rent one.

·
2nd gen slayer :)
831 Posts
kierandill said:
You could buy a clamp-on DC ammeter, and with the key off, measure the drain at the battery. Then pull fuses one at a time until you see the load drop.
PS - good clamp on DC ammeters are not cheap. Maybe you can borrow/rent one.
same thing i was going to reccomend. you'll be able to better diagnose your problem once you start pulling the fuses

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
I just remove the positive terminal and install an cheap multimeter that measures current in line with the positive cable (vice grips will work well) to measure the draw. If you see more than maybe 30-50 mA something is wrong. Start pulling fuses until its gone, then narrow it down from there.

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Altimat said:
I just remove the positive terminal and install an cheap multimeter that measures current in line with the positive cable (vice grips will work well) to measure the draw. If you see more than maybe 30-50 mA something is wrong. Start pulling fuses until its gone, then narrow it down from there.
While this will work fine for this particular measurement, it ignores the very real goal of all shade tree mechanics, which is to justify purchasing more tools!
:D

·
Smell it, fools...
1,726 Posts
kierandill said:
While this will work fine for this particular measurement, it ignores the very real goal of all shade tree mechanics, which is to justify purchasing more tools!
:D

amen. :D

·
Smell it, fools...
1,726 Posts
And talking about going purchasing tools, I'm off to harbor freight to get some cheap ones. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ry said:
Mine blinks.

What year is your car?
Car is a 1997.

UPDATE:
After messing around I came upon the fact that the Security light clue only occurs when the hood plunger is depressed! So hood closed = drained battery.
I tried removing the plunger totally, but the problem continued.
I unmounted it and laid it down inside the hood. It thinks the hood is up, but I have no problems.

I don't use my alarm, as I don't have the remote for it right now, so I don't know exactly what this plunger does. I'm assuming part of the alarm system???

For now, I have a workaround, where do I go from here as to actually FIXING this. I hate electrical problems! :eek:

Thanks for all the input so far. I'll have to buy an ammeter anyways ;)

·
that was dumb.
2,336 Posts
My cars battery used to drain when I first got it. Turns out there was a piece of metal touching the alternator bracket, and it was causing the battery to die. Used the volt thing, found it, moved the metal, runs fine. The idle and everything was all messed up before hand too, not anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts