The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 with 140K miles on it and for the past month or so I have been getting this wierd sound coming from around the muffler at around 1500RPMs. Its like a low buzzing sound kind of like if I had a fart can on my car. The sound only comes out around 1300 - 1700 RPMs. I usually get the sound when I am accelerating slowly. If I accelerate fast I won't hear it all the time. Lately I have been able to get the sound while sitting parked and revving the engine very slowly.

I have tried putting Seafoam in the gas tank and I have changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs, and the sound is still there. The air filter is pretty clean. I was gonna change the distributer cap and rotor but those are pretty clean and I don't think that is going to help any. Does know what could cause this sound?

·
click, click, buh bye!
502 Posts
check the exhaust. Look for a hole or something. or perhaps a loose hanger. My exhaust has a nasty hole in it and i get a rattling sound from it really bad at low RPMs. Basically, just jack your car up and slide under there. Or if you're a small person, you won't ned the jack. And leave it running while you're there, easier to hear for the holes then to search the entire thing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had my exhaust stuff checked out. Mechanic changed the muffler which solved the problem of the sound coming up at park. However, the sound still came up while driving. So I took it back and the mechanic couldn't really figure out where the sound was coming from.

I had a friend help me out and he figured out that it was my right rear mud flap that was making the noise. The top screw on the flap had ripped through the rubber and made the flap be positioned near a hanger for the muffler. I bought a washer from the hardware store and used it to hold the top screw to the flap and lo and behold, no sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts