The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm gutting my car right now to do some sound deadening and was wondering what that metal block looking thing is that's bolted to the bottom of the spare tire well. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Speed addict
44 Posts
No, it is a Vibration Dampener for the rear body. Like the way a harmonic dampener works to reduce the amplitude of vibrations in the engine, This one does the same for the road noise vibrating in the spare wheel well.
It has nothing to do with the spare.

·
NISMO R-TUNE
651 Posts
SammyJayMac said:
No, it is a Vibration Dampener for the rear body. Like the way a harmonic dampener works to reduce the amplitude of vibrations in the engine, This one does the same for the road noise vibrating in the spare wheel well.
It has nothing to do with the spare.
gimme some of that shit your smoking, haha lolz, j/k although the maxima had that dampener in the trunk area, that was closer to the back of the rear seat, i dont think the altima ever had that, please correct me if i'm wrong someone

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
rubber strips in the spare tire well is for dampening any movement the sparetire may have when it's not properly secured.

otherwise the piece of metal in the well's center is there to secure the spare tire with a long bolt.

·
Speed addict
44 Posts
ASHURA said:
rubber strips in the spare tire well is for dampening any movement the sparetire may have when it's not properly secured.

otherwise the piece of metal in the well's center is there to secure the spare tire with a long bolt.
TRUE, but invisible21was talking about the "metal block looking thing is that's bolted to the bottom of the spare tire well." That's what I was explaining. It's also called a "mass damper" or a NVH(Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) damper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Metal block in trunk

I just took mine out, no problems since, that was 3 months ago.

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
ASHURA said:

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
SammyJayMac said:
TRUE, but invisible21was talking about the "metal block looking thing is that's bolted to the bottom of the spare tire well." That's what I was explaining. It's also called a "mass damper" or a NVH(Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) damper.
Correct. This came up on here about a year ago. It has nothing to do with the spare, as you said - the spare doesn't even touch it. I took mine out ages ago.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I believe it is just another counter weight

when I installed my sterio over a year ago it was removed at that time and I havent had a problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts