The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched a lot of threads dealing with intake on this site. I still cant decide which would be the best one to get.....Stillen, Frankencar,Injen?

Can anyone recomend what they think would be the best out there for an auto 3.5?

CAI or WAI and what brand?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Very hard decision. I know, I experienced the same problem. So I narrowed it down in the following manner:

Price was no option, i.e., not to be a concern.

Wanted a WAI for engine protection and filter protection since car is a primary mode of transportation.

Did not want an oil-wetted filter since the potential exists for MAF problems, throttle plate sticking, and oily residue along intake path.

Was not concerned much at all with cosmetics of product.

Wanted maximum results from product, horsepower and torque gains, and no loss of throttle response in the RPM ranges in which the engine operates most of the time.

Answer for me - Frankencar with the Apexi filter. An outstanding product for my requirements and one which I would not hesitate to purchase again. I have no experience with the other products so I had to rely on other people's experience on this site and my own knowledge and research.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,268 Posts
pvick said:
Yeah, but you gotta wonder how much "air" she could suck.
Well we all know she can fit a LARGE intake tube in her mouth easily...:eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I believe that CAIs provide a bit better performance than a WAI, (1-3 HP maybe) mainly because of the temp difference of the intake air. Also the CAI seems a bit quieter sound than CAI.

However a CAI is MUCH more expensive than WAI. $50 - $80 vs. $200- $300. Also the Alty CAIs require bumper or wheel well cover removal to change filters. Finally, the CAI has a risk of sucking water into the engine in deep puddles, which can kill an engine. With a CAI, you either avoid deep water, or get a bypass valve.

So, if you want most of the advantages of a better intake system with an easy bolt-on mod, get a WAI. If you are a perfectionist, and want the most performance regardless of price or effort, get the CAI. (The CAI looks cooler too, IMHO)

If you are still interested in a CAI, see my thread at http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55391
for manufacturers , retailers, prices, & models.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried the free WAI and am happy with the increase in performance. It's not throw you back in the seat and hang on difference, but I noticed that low RPM hesitation is gone and I like the new tone made.

·
Registered
949 Posts
PVICK

How is that Apexi filter working out? I am thinking about getting the same setup on the intake that you have. Actually the only reason I didn't get one right when frankencar first got the Apexi in stock is due to a funds issue. :) What did you pay for your intake and filter? And how hard was it to install. Thanks in advance.

g

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To guiseppewv and VirtualOutlook;

I am VERY pleased with the Frankencar/Apexi intake. I read on the Maxima.org website that someone dyno'd an 18 HP increase. I don't know about that but with my car (Stillens went on in June), the performance hit with the Frankencar was quite noticable. The car accelerates not with a measure of urgency. In stock condition, the power builds almost boringly. With the intake, the thing just screams. And there are several points in the power band where you can feel and hear the engine repsond even more urgently. Really nice.

The price was $187.00 as I recall, including freight. Installation is simple, though I recommend you use the stock, ribbed coupling from the throttle body to their mid pipe. It is flexible and makes a better seal. I did a writeup early in the week, so you might want to check that out. I would also use the aluminum bracket they ship to help position the filter back and away from the wheel well to avoid water invasion. Send me an email at [email protected], and I'll give you some more info.

Hey VirtualOutlook.. you're gonna love this thing.. I guarantee it. The difference is really super. It pulls like crazy until you finally take your foot out of it. Simply put, this engine is starved for breathing the way it is installed from the factory. It needs to be freed up and the Frankencar is a fine start. Let me know if you have questions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Pvick,

According to your description, you had the cheap air induction before. Did you notice a big difference in taking the air scoop off and the new intake? Or, are you comparing it to stock trim and the new setup?

Just curious since that is what I am doing now.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To caveman;

There is something I wasn't expecting when I installed my Frankencar instake. I know that CAI systems pickup cooler air due to their location, usually behind the bumper or somewhere in the fender well. But last Monday on the way home from work, I stopped at a Sears. Now it was 96 degrees and I had been in some traffic. When I got to the Sears, as soon as I turned off my engine, I opened the hood and felt the mid pipe. It was warm, BUT NOT HOT! The filter was not sucking up hot air! I have been arguing for a while now that our V6's don't have a great deal of engine heat around the driver's side wheel well. And they don't. Trust me and if you get one of these systems, try feeling the mid pipe at different times. You'll be surprised.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 64 Posts