The Nissan Club banner

What is wrong w/ tranny ... no reverse

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  m3dia_lab 
#1 ·
WTF is wrong w/ tranny ... no reverse

i dont know what the hell is wrong with my car...
its a 97 auto gxe 5 speed i drove to a friends house about 20 miles away and i get in his driveway and i cant back out.... and if i put it in neutral it will act like its in drive and it goes foward

what the hell has happened! how much will this cost to get fixed and how long will it take

#3 ·
i would check linkage first, however if the tranny is bad, get one from a junkyard.. don't mess with getting it rebuilt it will cost way too much and it will not be worth it... Junkyard 5spds range in price from about 350 and up.. shop around and see if you can find one with a warranty from a junkyard or parts recycler..

#5 ·
hahaha, i didn't see the "auto" part.

if that is the case that is a common problem with the auto's, i think it is just something to do with the shifter cable or something, i am not quite sure... At any rate if it is an auto that needs replace, plan on spending 600+ on one.. :(

#7 ·
my girlfriend had the same problem with her car. New tranny. Not to say that you would but, DO NOT take the car to Aamco.

#9 ·
its an auto and it started doing it again tonight as well....

the really wierd part is i can drive in neutal its like its in first gear but it will start slippin with it gets around 3000 rpms!

it only does it every now and then and so far only at night...

i checked the fluid and everythings all good!

somone who knows about about transmissions please tell me what is wrong!

its only the reverse and neutral

btw: if i put it in reverse when the car is on it acts like its in park
and if i put it in reverse when the car is off it will go back but i have to push it!

#10 ·
GET IT CHECKED!!!!

EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM AGAIN!

I had the exact same problem! All I did was pushed it out, drove it 2 blocks and it worked fine. 2 months later, it started doing it again, but more often. Eventually, it was a daily thing until it went out. It tore up my transaxle, transmission, and whatever else it would take to =$3,400 (was a respectable dealer also, I don't think he ****ed me) and it came with a 3yr/36,000 mile wty. SO I'd say plan on puttin a new tranny in or take it to a RESPECTABLE shop and have them take a look at it, wish i would've!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.