The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting stock size rims, and my altima is brown with medium tint. What do you guys think would look good?

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
TPhelps155 said:
Dont do it. Get ALEAST 16's!!!!!!!!

If you want 15's get the stock alloy's.
I had the stock 16's. And when I went 17's, it made the car look so much more agressive. Don't do 15's!!!

·
maybe another alty soon?
1,509 Posts
I say go with 15's if you want 'em, just don't get some bling-blingin chromies or anything like that. If you're going to do 15's, either get the stock Altima alloys, or get some lightweight rims, like Rotas or something of that sort..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I'd like to go for 16 or even 17, but $$$ are a problem. lol I actually have the cash saved, but my parents are flipping out. They think even $500 is a waste on rims, so I want to keep the stock tires. I actually want the better performance associated with bigger rims and tires that are of a brand I've actually heard of, but hey one battle at a time right?

·
Dro'd Out!.....again!
2,366 Posts
save up for the bigger rims . u wont be happy with the 15's when u see some one with 17's even 18's

·
Registered
530 Posts
yeah, what he said. if u have the money get 16s or 17s!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'll run it by the parents. Just so I know, wheres a reputable place to get them, and how much is a package deal where they give you the rims and the tires?

·
Speed Ricer
1,198 Posts
i bought the factory 5 star rims off of here, but yeah id say stock rims if u want 15's and i couldnt afford much more and i think they look nice.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the sites. I'm gonna take your advice and attempt to get 16"s. I'll come back with more questions soon probably. Also, what material is best? I dont wanna bend them going thru a pothole

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
-altimalaunch- said:
Thanks for the sites. I'm gonna take your advice and attempt to get 16"s. I'll come back with more questions soon probably. Also, what material is best? I dont wanna bend them going thru a pothole
Basically rims are made from aluminum alloy. It's the manufacturing process that really determines the strength and durability of a rim.

The 3 processes are.... (please correct me if I'm wrong)

- Gravity casting is the cheapest form of casting. The metal is melted to a molten liquid state and is poured into a cast. It's the most versitle type of casting that can produce complex rim designs. It can be used to produce a rim for a limited run cause of it's low cost. But it produces the weakest wheel... By allowing imperfections like air pockets in the metal, and the direction of the gain of the metal cannot be controlled. To make up for this weak casting method, gravity casted wheels are made heavy.

- Squeeze, or light pressure casting is similiar to gravity casting, but pressure is added and the molten metal is forced into the mold. This helps removes the air pockets in the rim and produce a rim stronger than gravity casting. The rim can be made with less material, hence a lighter rim. But the grain of the metal cannot be controlled.

- Forging produces the strongest and lighest rims. The metal is in a semi-solid/putty state. Pressure on the magnitude of several MILLION p.s.i. is inflicted onto the mold. Air pockets are non existant and the grains in the metal has conformed to all go in the same direction.

So when you're shopping around for a 17" rim and you see.... (these are guessimates)
- a Motegi MR7 that's $110 and weighs 24.5 lbs
- a Rota Subzero that's $140 and weighs 16.5 lbs
- a SSR Competition that's $375 and weighs 12 lbs
...you can pretty much tell which rim is gravity casted, squeezed casted, and forged.

BTW, I love my Rota Subzero's. Best bang for the buck IMO. Click the link in the sig.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that was really helpful, thanks for the breakdown. Fortunately, my dad seems to be loosening up about getting 16"s. Gimme some ammo in the fight. Does it increase safety? Lol maybe I'll say something about gas milage since my alignment is ****ed to hell, and they'd balance it when mounting the rims. Also, I will check out the rota subzero's. It makes sense to go for the squeeze casted ones for me. I dont wanna get shit, but I dont exactly run the 1/4 mile at the track lol.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
What are u running right now? 205-60-15?

Going to a 205-55-16, you'll notice that the steering feel is better and response more crisp and quicker from the shorter and stiffer sidewall. And on the highway, the car is going to feel more stable because you won't have soft sidewalls that will flex causing the car to feel like it's shifting side to side.

And believe it or not, a 205-55-16 will have a wider tread than a 205-60-15. Because the "205" is not the tread width. It's actually width of the tire at it's widest point... the bulge of the sidewalls. You can read more about it here...

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76811&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size.htm

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/contact.htm

Having light rims can contribute to better acceleration and better braking because they are easier to spin and easier to stop.

·
OG
4,071 Posts
yeah flares right in everything he said about wheel weight ... is IS rather important
i moved from 15" steel to 16" alloy and its a huge difference
on the highway the car is much more responsive in changing lanes and acceleration because of the decreased amount of "stuff" it has to move, and better in breaking because it has less to stop ... not to mention rims are more "open" in design ... so your brakes stay a little cooler

·
Registered
49 Posts
i got 17'' enki shoguns with tires, mounted for 660$$$$. look around dont get 15''s. whats the point of buying wheels that are stock size? i suggest talking to people that own wheel shops, i got hooked up pretty good. my wheels list for 200 each and i got em for 70 each. not too bad.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts