The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of gas....?
I decided to buy the new Alti GXE LE. Though I have regrets about the fuel differences with the Toyota Corolla, the Alti offers so much more.
However, in reading through the owner's manual it says: "Recommended: Unleaded fuel, at least 87 octane....."

I hadn't figured on extra costs at the pump for higher grade fuel.

Question: what do you burn in your Alti? Is the 87 necessary? Will 85 work ok?

Thanks much.

·
a.k.a. Big Daddy
108 Posts
Sorry....I'm from PA, I didn't even know that they sold 85. If I were you I would go with the good stuff. 93 or 94 octane. The price may be a little bit more at the time, but you will feel the difference, and it will help your vehicle out in the long run. I would not even think about putting 85 in my altima, but the choice is yours. If you are thinking about doing any upgrades to your car, I would start with the gas.

·
Official Troll
3,031 Posts
k9inc said:
Sorry....I'm from PA, I didn't even know that they sold 85. If I were you I would go with the good stuff. 93 or 94 octane. The price may be a little bit more at the time, but you will feel the difference, and it will help your vehicle out in the long run. I would not even think about putting 85 in my altima, but the choice is yours. If you are thinking about doing any upgrades to your car, I would start with the gas.
If you're car is not running forced induction or high compression, then putting anything in higher than regular unleaded is a waste.

The main purpose of higher octane fuel is to prevent pre-ignition in engines running high compression or boost from forced induction. It's harder to ignite because it's resistant to high pressures and high engine temps.

The Altima does not run on high compression or forced induction.

If you run higher than regular unleaded in your car, you might not be burning all of the fuel completely, and the un-burned fuel will exit via your exhaust system, hence putting out more air pollution. And since you might not be burning all of your fuel, then you might not be getting the max force of the combustion.

A lot of people are too easily brainwashed by Exxon/Mobil/[name of favorite gas station] commercials on TV.

·
Official Troll
3,031 Posts
Oh yeah.....

If you do find that your car runs smoother when you put premium in, then you need a tune up.

After a tune up, you should run fine on regular.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!!

Much appreciate your thorough reply to this gas question. Puts my mind at ease. Love this site for Altima folks.
Thanks again.
Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts