The Nissan Club banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Hugh,

I just got a quote from Nissan to extend my warranty coverage when my 4-Year plan expires.

Nissan Plan (AST): +3 Years, +80,000 km for $2500 CDN

3rd Party Plan (I-Select, Ultimate): +5 Years, +80,000 km for $3000 CDN

Both seem fairly expensive, but both include Road-Side Service and Rental Car.
And, when a typical CVT Replacement costs at least $5200 CDN, it might be worthwhile...but, not if you plan to put a lot of miles on the car...
What's the deductible on the Nissan plan vs 3rd party? If I had a CVT and plans to keep the car for another 3years...that would be some peace of mind insurance for sure. Boils down to $2/day or so.

Might also have some real value if you wanted to say sell your car in 2 years...so with 12 months of extended warranty still on it...you'll get at least half what you paid back in resale value alone.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just hit 9K on this 2016SL3.5 and I squirted a tube of Tribotex in the engine
You must have extremely low sales resistance. TriboTEX is, perhaps, one of the most expensive "Snake Oil" scams on the market today, at $99 per tube. With particles that are supposed to "selectively bond" with metal components, you are more likely to give your engine the automotive equivalent of "sickle cell anemia" and clog important oil passages.

A similar product, Slick50, was debunked years ago when the tiny teflon particles clogged critical oil passages and destroyed many engines. A friend found that out the hard way when his NEW R1 engine seized and his warranty was void for using it.

I could possibly understand using such a product on a worn, old engine in order to improve compression...but you are taking a serious risk with a new engine which already has tight tolerances and is barely broken in...

Based on TriboTEX's cheesy video, I would suspect that Donald Jr. gets a container-load of this stuff with every batch of Russian orphans he imports. ;)

·
2016 TEANA 3.5 SL
213 Posts
You must have extremely low sales resistance. TriboTEX is, perhaps, one of the most expensive "Snake Oil" scams on the market today, at $99 per tube. With particles that are supposed to "selectively bond" with metal components, you are more likely to give your engine the automotive equivalent of "sickle cell anemia" and clog important oil passages.

A similar product, Slick50, was debunked years ago when the tiny teflon particles clogged critical oil passages and destroyed many engines. A friend found that out the hard way when his NEW R1 engine seized and his warranty was void for using it.

I could possibly understand using such a product on a worn, old engine in order to improve compression...but you are taking a serious risk with a new engine which already has tight tolerances and is barely broken in...

Based on TriboTEX's cheesy video, I would suspect that Donald Jr. gets a container-load of this stuff with every batch of Russian orphans he imports. ;)
God Damn it. Now what

·
Registered
211 Posts
God Damn it. Now what
I honestly doubt that TriboTEX is as dangerous as Slick50 (with Teflon), and a single dose is likely just "money better spent elsewhere", but I wouldn't use any more of it (especially at $99 per treatment). It's the cumulative affect of those "nano-particles" where they are not required that could potentially cause a problem.
I don't think that any additive of this type has been proven to actually provide any permanent protective film on metal parts, and what you have used should wear off and be flushed out after an oil change or two anyway.
TriboTEX is likely no more effective than MUCH cheaper products such as Dura Lube or zMAX, but again, these additive are not recommended for a new engine barely out of the break-in period.

For the most part, these products rely on the placebo affect, and generally the more you pay for them, the more you have to "believe" that they are actually working. Any perceived improvement in mileage or performance is often the result of simply keeping better records, and a need to justify the expense.

My Nissan dealer will not even sell or recommend such additives. In fact, they have been using just a good quality conventional (non-synthetic) oil in my 2014 Altima from the start (every 8,000 km or 5,000 miles). My fuel economy gradually increased over the first year of ownership as the engine broke in and reached a plateau in the second year. I'm a firm believer that you have to let these engines break in naturally, and that normally scheduled oil changes are all that you really need.

...oh, and I'm sorry if I scared you. The account about the Slick50 was true, but some of my earlier post was tongue-in-cheek! ;)

Reactions: Standard Altima

·
registered owner
373 Posts
2006 Altima SER, 197k (original owner)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Currently @45,000 miles brake pad and rotor change all round in the next few weeks along with engine and in cabin air filter change, and oil and filter change as well.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Altima 2.5s
2,421 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
120k. No issues whatso ever until about 1.5/2 years ago the timing chain needed to be replaced and I didn't do it when I should have so it warped whatever holds it on so I need a new engine. But literally my fault from not taking it in for oil changes like I should have. Otherwise, great car. Looking into buying a new one but more features because I love my 2014 S.

·
Registered
123 Posts
96K miles 2014 2.5S No issues Original brakes, 12V battery, light bulbs. Regular oil and filter changes and one new set of tires. CVT fluid and filter change at 85K miles. Engine coolant replaced at 90K miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2017 with midnight package. 29,600 miles and praying daily. The only problem I have now is the low/deep rumble when rpm's between 1,600 and 2,000. Otherwise car runs fine. I plan on trading it in for something else without the cvt transmission - perhaps a Nissan truck as we need a tow vehicle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We are the original owners of a 2014 Altima 2.5 SL currently with 91,000 miles. I replaced tires once, the battery once, and brake pads once a bit early to avoid potential damage to the original rotors.

Oh.....

I replaced both headlight assemblies last month because the originals got so dim. I bought a new pair of TYC brand from Rock Auto for $194 with shipping and tax considered. Wow, what an improvement. We can see again when night driving. It was not an easy project but well worth it. At least it was very easy to adjustment the aim of the headlights after assembly.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts