The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
01LTD said:
You can also use royal purple 5W-30 Synthetic.
isn't even more expensive than mobil 1?
Jay

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
Yep, but Royal Purple is really good stuff I hear. A few SE-R guys swore by it -- it's apparently better than most, if not all motor oils, at cleaning out varnish deposits.

Any brand of 5W-30 will work just fine in the Altima. And if you live in a really warm climate like Florida, 10W-30 is fine, too. At first change in a few weeks, I'll be putting in Mobil 1 5W-30 myself.

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5SE 5-speed
'98 SE 5-speed

·
Registered
717 Posts
Royal Purple...

I use Royal Purple in my SE-R with modest mods and
90K on the odm and I swear by the stuff.

Plan on using it in my 3.5 when it's time
to change again.

Ironically, I can get it cheaper at my local Nissan
Service dept ($5.25 a qt.) vs. what it sells for at
NAPA ($5.69 a qt.) Oh yeah, 5w-30 all the way baby!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mobile 1

I just changed mine recently. It`s Mobile 1 5w-30. I was all set to use a blend but read so many positive things about Mobile 1 on this site that I switched.. I used a blend in my Accord for 3 years.

There are some synthetic blends out there by Castrol and Valvoline etc.

Anyone use a synthetic blend?

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
I think synthetic blends are a waste of money. They're marketing hype to the masses who see the label and think, Well, I can get maybe two-thirds the greatness of full synthetic at half the price.

Yeah, and the IS300 is two-thirds the greatness of an M3 at half the price, too.

The bad thing about synthetic blends is that you don't get near the thermal stability and protection against viscosity breakdown you do with a full synthetic. That's the number one reason to buy synthetic oil -- not the hype years ago about extended drain intervals. What you end up with is a product that costs twice as much as a top-line organic oil but offers few, if any, advantages over it. Either stick with a good quality organic oil and change it regularly and often, or go with a full synthetic and do the same thing.

Jarrod

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, screw the blends....go full synthetic. Yes it costs more, but it offers better protection, less sludge build-up, and you can go longer between oil changes. Some say up to 10k between changes, but for regular oil I'd stick with every 3k miles, and every 3-5k miles for synthetic. I myself use Mobil 1 5w-30 in all my cars...I think its the best...and here is one of the reasons why: Mobil 1 comes as standard equipment in some of the finest production cars you can buy. It's factory fill in Dodge Viper, Chevrolet Corvette, Mercedes-Benz AMG models, all Porsches and all Aston Martins.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
I run Mobil 1 5W-30 in my car and Mobil 1 15W-50 in my crotch rocket. As far as oil filters go, I use Purolator Pure One. I read an article awhile back that said to stay away from Fram, I can't remember why...............

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oil Filter Study

Very Interesting. Fram failed, Purolater pervailed. Mobil 1 with synthetic parts and other assorted named filters.

What about our own Nissan brand filters? Are they made by Nippon in Japan or are they Made in USA and by whom?:eek:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
why is oil change interval so important? How many Mobil 1 users change their oil at 7500 instead of 3000? Nearly everybody I know swears by 3000/3months.
My bro's 93 Maxima went 18k/6months on Mobil 1...came out pretty clean (lil darker than golden). We were amazed! He drives 160miles round trip to/from his work. He's back on the Nissan recommended 7500 schedule now. The 18k was cuz he was pretty busy.
Jay

·
Registered
180 Posts
A word on Semi Synthetics

Don't waste your money on a Semi-syn motor oil
almost all of them have no more than 10% synthetic base stock. In astm test procedures there is little to no benefit from a petroleum motor oil.
All the new SL speced motor oils are using a hydrocracked base oil that performs exceptionally well.It has very little volatility and tends to have better pour points. In summation go with synthetic or petroleum, the extra you pay for a Semi/Syn is probably not worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil Analysis

You may want to check out website www.noria.com

This has alot of information on different oils. Also, I found one particular item on the message board interesting, a comparison of Mobil 1 vs Valvoline synthetic. Mobil showed more deterioration and higher levels of wear metals. Interesting.

www.noria.com/messageboards/car&trucklubrication

The particular message is Mobil 1 5w-30 vs Valvoline 5w-40 Synthetic results.

Good luck.

G

·
In my old car, I used the pure one filter. It was really a good filter and I still use it in my girlfriends altima (4cylinder). Talking to some friends that works for a dealer, I found out that the Nissan filter is not only a little shorter (this prevents it from hitting that plastic fender liner on the V6's) but the anti-drain valve is very good on the Nissan filter. One thing I did read about the pure one was the filter media was very good but there was some extra pressure loss through the filter. That was not a concern in my contour because I didn't run it hard but those that did had some oil starvation problems with the pure one so they switched to the motorcraft "s" filters.

I think until there is some good evidance that we are not going to have oil related problems and until the pure one filter comes out with a direct fitment for the V6, I think I am going to stick with the Nissan filter. Besides, if you go on line and purchase a case, the price is just about the same as getting a pure on on sale. Also, should there be an issue with an oil related failure, with a Nissan filter that is one less thing they can point to if they want to jerk you around.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oil Analysis

JED ....:confused: I spent about an hour last evening on the web sites you provided. I was hoping to find some guidance. The Mobil 1 comparison blew me away but of course this guy was a hard line VW driver. Reading farther down a Amsoil salesman stated his opinion and then it became a free for all. This of course was in the message board section. I was naive to think that there would be a consensus on any one product.

All in all very interesting reading but no conclusions on my part or none stated in the web site except the test results of some products. These results were also hotly contested.

On my part the more I read about Oil and Filters, the more I believe that OEM filters and FULLY Synthetic oil is perhaps the safetest way to go for all driving conditions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Oil Analysis

Ratwayne said:
JED ....:confused: I spent about an hour last evening on the web sites you provided. I was hoping to find some guidance. The Mobil 1 comparison blew me away but of course this guy was a hard line VW driver. Reading farther down a Amsoil salesman stated his opinion and then it became a free for all. This of course was in the message board section. I was naive to think that there would be a consensus on any one product.

All in all very interesting reading but no conclusions on my part or none stated in the web site except the test results of some products. These results were also hotly contested.

On my part the more I read about Oil and Filters, the more I believe that OEM filters and FULLY Synthetic oil is perhaps the safetest way to go for all driving conditions.
Thats what I do, Mobil 1 and OEM oil filters....only exception is if you want to spend more and use the Mobil 1 oil filter! :p

Kevin

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.