The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Nissan Altima GXE...

I've put together a list on what I'm going to do, but, being 18 and not bringing in that much, a huge portion of my money is going for general up keep, gas, maintenence, insurance, etc.

Eventually, hopefully within the next 12 months I'll have it all, but which do most reccomend first?

OEM Foglights + Install ~ $450
Tokico Struts and Eibach Springs ~ $500
[Stillen] Front Strut bar and Rear Sway Bar ~ $350
Pioneer 3500MP + Speakers ~ $400
Injen Short Ram Intake + Magnaflow Exhaust ~ $400
Motegi's/Enkei's on Ebay ~ $300

Also, I never thought about it until now but...

1998 Nissan Altima GXE 60,021 miles

Really clean, looks like it was garaged, practically new tires [Bridgestone], very few scratches, + smogged and California fees and whatnot taken care of, $7700 out the door, was it a good deal?

Thanks~!

·
Rockin the Le Bra
1,016 Posts
sound
intake
exhaust
wheels
suspension
fogs

thats pretty much the order i took when i started modding, but first of all, you should do a complete tune up if u need one cuz theres no point in doing all those mods on a car needing a tune up. good luck btw and keep it clean.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
same time...Do what I am doing. I get about $50 bucks every paycheck to a savings account, and don't touch it. Just save, and do it all together.

Half goes to bills, $50 to savings, 10% to God!

·
"Respect My Authoritei"
11,610 Posts
Motegi's/Enkei's on Ebay ~ $300
Tokico Struts and Eibach Springs ~ $500
OEM Foglights + Install ~ $450
[Stillen] Front Strut bar and Rear Sway Bar ~ $350
Pioneer 3500MP + Speakers ~ $400
Injen Short Ram Intake + Magnaflow Exhaust ~ $400

BTW..That is a lot of $$ for OEM foglights installed. Buy the lights and install them yourself. It is really really easy. The wiring is already there for you.

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I called up the Nissan dealership nearby, granted I knew it was going to be expensive especially because it was the dealership, but yeah, around $200 for parts and $250 more for installation cost.

>_<

I read the FAQ on how to do it, and "eh".

I'm scared if I cut through my bumper, the cost will be the same as if I just got it installed by Nissan. Then again I also think, if I do it right and don't mess up, that's $250 saved for something else...

Kinda wish I could do it all at once, but damn...

Just wanna do it faster so I have more time to enjoy it, you know?

Don't wanna mod so late in the car's life, it won't be worth the money, as I'll drop all this cash then end up getting rid of the car for a new within a year or 2 of finishing it all.

How long ought my Altima last anyway? I drive somewhat hard on occassion, but I'm gonna make sure to take really good care of it, it's my freaking baby~!

·
L4D2 Rage!
1,818 Posts
200 for fogs? why not get HID instead for your headlights, then you dont need fogs.

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because, I think it'd look prettyful...

>_>

Heh...

^_^

Honestly, for me the fog lights are more for asthetics...

Still, anyone else's opinion on what order I ought to do things?

·
Registered
129 Posts
i'm tired of seeing new people ask what they should do to their car... DO WHAT YOU WANT!!!! for me.. i started for looks first.. i put in a brand new 7 color streetglow led kit... then after that i bought a muffler off of ebay to rice it up a bit.. and then i bought a resonator to turn heads (citizens and cops.. haha) but i havn't put it on yet....just do what you want.. if you like listening to music and like to rock it out.. hook yourself up with a nice system (but don't be stupid like some people and put 6 15"s in the back and stroll around town with it blasting" .. i'll drive to cali and kill you! haha..... but seriously.. just do what you feel like! it's your car! it's like your own little billboard that shows your social status almost..... almost..

-Chris

·
Banned
0 Posts
Is prettyful a word? Just teasin' ya :p

Like Chris Hill kinda said, whatever is most important to you-is you car show or go? What do you have the money for right now? BTW-just my opinion but I would go for the full CAI and not the short ram ;)

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tend to make up words.

::nods::

But anywho [that's one there too], I basically have the money to do one of them right now...

I guess a few of you are right, of those mods, pick the one I'd get the most joy out of having immediately, but, I dunno which one, heh...

>_<

Why not a CAI?

I'd love one, it's just, the only street legal, with CARB sticker one I've found is the Injen short ram.

I live in California, AND I'm trying to keep everything 100% street legal, so I know that's a *****, but if you know of a California street legal CAI, then for the love of god, PLEASE TELL ME.

>_>

^_^

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree with Tex93Altima on the order if thats what you're doing to it. I would definately save for a HotShot CAI rather than go with a short ram. I'd assume it's street legal but I'm not certain. HotShot makes the only CAI for 2nd gens. Also, if you want the intake for performance and not dress up you might want to consider an underdrive pulley instead.

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's an underdrive pulley? What does it do? And is it California street legal?

·
Rockin the Le Bra
1,016 Posts
under drive pulley is a smaller diameter, lighter crank pulley that gives you more power. I dont know if slows down all your belt drive accessories, but i know it slows down the alternator.

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are they California street legal?

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
282 Posts