The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kingpin
122 Posts
In my auto with JWT Popcharger I can definitely hear
a difference in tone around 4000-4300 RPM's.
It should be the same whether u have auto or manual if
I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
02SilverSE said:
In my auto with JWT Popcharger I can definitely hear
a difference in tone around 4000-4300 RPM's.
It should be the same whether u have auto or manual if
I'm not mistaken.
I have an auto too with just the free WAI... You can definitely hear and feel the engine opening up around mid 4000.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
fatboy said:

I have an auto too with just the free WAI... You can definitely hear and feel the engine opening up around mid 4000.
are you sure it's not the intake runners switching over? My bro's 93 is noticable when WOT, but not when cruising. Happens just short of 4000. His 2000 Maxima SE 5sp is less noticable...u really gotta be in tune w/the car to notice it switching over. I had a friend ask if the 93 Max had VTEC cuz it kicks damn hard right before 4000...and I usually shift around 3000.
Jae

·
The Reverend
85 Posts
The SE Altima engine, utilizes a variable cam timing on the intake side only. As mentioned above the ECU uses variable, such as RPM, Throttle Position, Temp, etc, to constantly adjust the mechanical timing of the intake camshafts. It is equivalent to have adjustable cam gears, that are dialed-in for peak torque at all rpm's (i.e. 1 degree may yield peak torque at 3000rpm, but at 7000rpm it my be 5 degreees, and the variable cam timing would provide just that, 1deg at 3000rpm and 5deg at 7000rpm)

The SE engine also utilizes an intake manifold that has two paths to the cylinder head. One path is long and small flow area, which is good for low rpm torque, and another path that opens up the flow area and is a shorter path to provide the motor with the air it needs at high rpm, just improving high rpm torque.

My guess is anything you may "feel" is going to be the when the additional intake runners open up on the intake manifold.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Ahhh I forgot CVCT is constantly variable. Been thinking too much about Hondas. Yes it is probably the intake runners, I have done the free WAI and you can really notice the sound turning aggressive. My bad. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.