The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my key battery started running out of battery, I had gotten the battery notice for like a month. Well toward the end, when I would hold down the brake and push the button, it would just go to ACC and then ON as if I wasn't holding down the brake. I attributed this to the dying battery. I switched the battery and I still had the very infrequent problem with this.

Well starting yesterday, it seems like this is a brake sensor problem and it's gotten exponentially worse. I couldn't get my car started for 5 mins yesterday, as I kept toggling from LOCK->ACC->ON while pressing and re-pressing the brake. Eventually I started getting frustrated and I started pumping the brake really hard, in an effort to jossle something (I'm talkin like STOMPING on the brake pedal over and over) and eventually I got it going.

Has anyone run into this? I'm thinking it's obvious I need to take it into the dealer, just curious if anyone has had a similar problem or if it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No problems like that over on this end, but I must commemorate you for your caveman style of fixing things lol. I do that all the time when I can't solve it logically, but yeah I would definitely take it to the stealer ASAP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes - I had the same exact thing happen.

It was the brake light switch that was sticking. I'd press on the brake and the switch wouldn't release (litle white button type switch which the pedals pushing in when the brake is off) - it also controls the start (foot must be on brake to start).

The REALLY SCARY thing is that even if your car does start and it sticks when braking, you're brake lights won't come on. I bought a new switch from the dealer and installed myself.

To see if it's sticking, next time it happens keep your foot on the brake and reach under and find the switch and push it in with you finger a couple of times to loosen it up.

Don't let this go - dealer should fix it - I paid the $30 out of my pocket for the switch and did it myself because I didn't want to drop my car off and all the hassle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - I had the same exact thing happen.

It was the brake light switch that was sticking. I'd press on the brake and the switch wouldn't release (litle white button type switch which the pedals pushing in when the brake is off) - it also controls the start (foot must be on brake to start).

The REALLY SCARY thing is that even if your car does start and it sticks when braking, you're brake lights won't come on. I bought a new switch from the dealer and installed myself.

To see if it's sticking, next time it happens keep your foot on the brake and reach under and find the switch and push it in with you finger a couple of times to loosen it up.

Don't let this go - dealer should fix it - I paid the $30 out of my pocket for the switch and did it myself because I didn't want to drop my car off and all the hassle.
I feel like it's not a sticking issue but rather not getting pressed, but I could be mistaken. Once the car gets started, the brake lights work 100% once I get the full range of motion from the brake pedal... were you finding the same thing?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I feel like it's not a sticking issue but rather not getting pressed, but I could be mistaken. Once the car gets started, the brake lights work 100% once I get the full range of motion from the brake pedal... were you finding the same thing?
The button on the switch is PUSHED IN when the brake pedal IS NOT applied. Once the button releases fully to start the car, then it's loosened up for the momement and then it functions properly - most of the time - but you can't be certain. Better safe than sorry. I did have a couple of times that I know I pressed the brake after the car was started and the lights didn't come on.

·
LOST AS USUAL
24 Posts
Way to be a dick for no real reason. It's the brake switch sensor that is the problem, and if I had taken care of the key battery I still would have run into this issue.

If you don't want to be helpful on a discussion forum then I suggest you go shove your head up your ass to pass the time.

That brake sensor switch sucks if it breaks so often, seems to be one of the few things though, thank goodness, but what a PITA.. sigh.

as for your second suggestion, two wrongs don't make it right... but then again i haven't tried that solution yet so maybe you can enlighten us? ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The button on the switch is PUSHED IN when the brake pedal IS NOT applied. Once the button releases fully to start the car, then it's loosened up for the momement and then it functions properly - most of the time - but you can't be certain. Better safe than sorry. I did have a couple of times that I know I pressed the brake after the car was started and the lights didn't come on.
Hey DS, question for you. Is this brake switch sensor fairly simple to put on? It sounds like the problem for my car. I literally drove a mile down the road yesterday to grab food. Came back to my car and it wouldn't start. Only light on was the flashing key fob light. Happened that quick. No previous signs of failure or nothing.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
It's not expensive, not hard if you follow instructions. The biggest mistake is not checking the proper clearance...which results in the switch actually holding your brakes on, which causes them to get red hot and start smoking in short order. Many posts on this forum, including the diagrams for the brake pedal height adjustment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not expensive, not hard if you follow instructions. The biggest mistake is not checking the proper clearance...which results in the switch actually holding your brakes on, which causes them to get red hot and start smoking in short order. Many posts on this forum, including the diagrams for the brake pedal height adjustment.
Thank you. I'm gonna first make sure that the problem is the brake switch sensor then try to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
doug, how would a brake light switch lead to overheating brakes? the switch doesn't at all communicate with the master cylinder and would have no way to actually brake your car...

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Hey bjams, the issue is with the mechanical positioning of the switch. It's on a long threaded barrel and it's possible to install the switch such that the pedal cannot return to the upper limit of its travel even when the switch is fully depressed by the pedal shaft...meaning the pedal can never fully release, and so the brakes are always engaged, even if ever so slightly thus generating excess heat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So my key battery started running out of battery, I had gotten the battery notice for like a month. Well toward the end, when I would hold down the brake and push the button, it would just go to ACC and then ON as if I wasn't holding down the brake. I attributed this to the dying battery. I switched the battery and I still had the very infrequent problem with this.

Well starting yesterday, it seems like this is a brake sensor problem and it's gotten exponentially worse. I couldn't get my car started for 5 mins yesterday, as I kept toggling from LOCK->ACC->ON while pressing and re-pressing the brake. Eventually I started getting frustrated and I started pumping the brake really hard, in an effort to jossle something (I'm talkin like STOMPING on the brake pedal over and over) and eventually I got it going.

Has anyone run into this? I'm thinking it's obvious I need to take it into the dealer, just curious if anyone has had a similar problem or if it's an easy fix.
OMG. I've been having the same problem now for 2 months. I've replaced the brake switch, the relay fuse and the fuse that's connected to the battery.
I've taken it to the shop 2x's and did a self diagnostic test myself using the 5, 20, 3 watching and listening. Nothing comes up on the dash. Do I'm gonna neck have break fluid put in and pressure of break checked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OMG. I've been having the same problem now for 2 months. I've replaced the brake switch, the relay fuse and the fuse that's connected to the battery.
I've taken it to the shop 2x's and did a self diagnostic test myself using the 5, 20, 3 watching and listening. Nothing comes up on the dash. Do I'm gonna neck have break fluid put in and pressure of break checked.
Correction. 5, 10,3 diagnostic test

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
You don't read well. The switch must be PROPERLY ADJUSTED or you can change them until the end of the universe and still have troubles. And often there can be more than one switch there. Did you get the right one?

Like the dopey OP who stomps on brake pedals when things quit. There is a price to be paid for being stupid and impatient and now the car makers are learning to charge more for that by creating finicky parts that no impatient person on earth will ever be able to put in right. Just wait until you have to reflash the computer for loosening a simple bolt, it already happens in certain cases.

Stupidity always pays more, it is built into the way the universe works. High impatience is a solid marker of it. I see it even in myself at times and that slows me down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok.. It only takes 1 time for me to deal with ignorant ASS ppl like you.
No you don't read very well. My replacement was done at Nissan and I font stomp on my brake. This app will be deleted.. Gor asshole like you. No patience for ignorance

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
With all due respect, Nissan has some of the worst techs there are. 5 minutes reading here (oops, forgot your skill level at that) would show anybody that.

Ignorant? I tested at college exit in most things in the 7th grade. Nobody touches the 4 cars average I've had running for over 50 years now, I do 100% of every repair that can be done on a car. Let me know when you catch up little child person.

'No you don't read very well. My replacement was done at Nissan and I font stomp on my brake.'

Laughing at that; you don't even know what you are posting from post to post. You are welcome to go back and point out where you previously said Nissan or you don't stomp on a brake. You mentioned a 'shop' and guessing you think we are mindreaders, and clearly get lost when you are put in a comparison to think somebody says you said such and such. Because if you READ the post I never even said you stomp on your brake. I said OP meaning other than you.

Why am I even wasting time conversing with such a person? Yes, I am an -ss but I make $3000/hr. half the time I open my hoods and have never paid OTHERS for any car repair ever.

'This app will be deleted'? What kind of goofy thinking is that???

(shaking head sadly) Folks. they just get dumber and dumber.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts