The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1320 In 12 With A Bed.
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the fuck is going on at Nissan? Why in the hell did they decide to make the new Altima BIGGER than the Maxima? In addition to that, it has NEARLY as much horsepower too! What are they smoking over there? Then, on top of all that, they new Infinity G35 is going to be based on SKYLINE?!?! I guess this falls right along with the fact that they could only manage 210hp from a supercharged 3.3L V6.

The new Altimas and Maximas are cool and all, but c'mon...

·
788 Posts
To compete with the European-classes. Nissan is only getting more kick-ass because Renault owns them. The next maxima is getting a little larger, too. Think classes...Altima is now the size of the Accords and Camrys, and 330s. That means the Sentra is established as a true competitor with the Corollas and Civics, and 318 and smaller C-class. The Maxima will be like the Avalon, 929, and so on.

Also, the only reason that the supercharged V6 is at 210, is because they used the regular 170 Hp engine. A 40 Hp gain from a factory-spec supercharger is common. (Like the Pontiac GTP, base 3.8L-200Hp; S/C-240.) I agree, they should slam the Pathfinder's 240 Hp V6 in that bitch...

Out.

·
DRGN4DR
4,325 Posts
the maxima is their flagship..so why not make the altima similar to it...yet still afordable somewhat...

·
1320 In 12 With A Bed.
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by: SPL Hertz
the maxima is their flagship..so why not make the altima similar to it...yet still afordable somewhat...
Are you serious? Think about it, then people will start to buy Altimas instead of Maximas. DUH! For the majority of the population minor differences in cars don't mean shit. The majority of the population will look at the Altima and think it will serve the exact same functions as a Maxima for thousands less. This is one of the reasons why the Z06 came out, to draw buyers away from the SS/WS6.

·
I don't care
4,185 Posts
I was wondering the same thing but figured it was all about sales. The Maxima out sold the V6 Camry and the V6 Accord but since both companies sold more I4 versions than V6 versions the Maxima was at a dissadvantage.
The choice seemed to be tone down the Maxima (and mostlikely lose the Altima) or Step up the Altima. It seems very odd that the Altima is bigger than the Maxima, but it's only temporary. The only problem I had with the MAxima was that it put akll those horses on the front wheels. The larger RWD Maxima seems cool but I'm afraid that it might lose it's 4DSC Image. Plus Nissan already failed in keeping the J30 alive, which would be similar to the new Maxima.
I was also a little disappointed by the Frontier but really disappointed by the Frontier's performance. The 3.3 seems like a disgrace to me. It makes fewer horses than Nissans new 2.5 I4. Years ago Nissan could make over 190hp from the 3.0 but today with a 222hp (?) 3.0 and a 260hp 3.5 on the way, they accept a 170hp 3.3. But I won't get too far into that because it is meant for use in a truck not a car.

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
first off the new altima will have more hp than the current Maxima with the optional V6. The Maxima will be larger in 2003 and house a V6 that is just under 300 hp to my knowledge..

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
Engines in trucks are tuned differently than in cars. Torque matters more than horsepower in trucks, so the 3.3L is tuned for much higher torque (~240 lb/ft). The KA24 in the Frontier produces ~20hp less than it does in the Altima, but has the same torque over a lower (more useable) band.

Nissan knows what they're doing with the Maxima and new Altima. They're drastically cutting Maxima production for 2002 in order to ramp up new Altima sales. The 2002 Maxima, even though it got lots of great improvements (they don't want people to lose interest), is just a gap-filler until the all-new 2003 debuts.

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
This is in the wrong forum, BTW. :rolleyes:

·
1320 In 12 With A Bed.
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by: Creature
Engines in trucks are tuned differently than in cars. Torque matters more than horsepower in trucks, so the 3.3L is tuned for much higher torque (~240 lb/ft). The KA24 in the Frontier produces ~20hp less than it does in the Altima, but has the same torque over a lower (more useable) band.

This is true, however you need horsepower to keep you moving. Torque can only do so much (off the line) and after that it's up to the horsepower to keep you moving. They could've done a better job in the HP department. Either that or just not advertise so much that the new Frontier's have a "210 Supercharged V6." They should be careful how they throw that around.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
Redline said:

This is true, however you need horsepower to keep you moving. Torque can only do so much (off the line) and after that it's up to the horsepower to keep you moving. They could've done a better job in the HP department. Either that or just not advertise so much that the new Frontier's have a "210 Supercharged V6." They should be careful how they throw that around.
the reason why there is no VQ currently in the Frontier/Xterra is because i've heard it doesn't fit. either that or Nissan is getting lazy to try to fit it. Nissan isn't exactly the richest car maker so they can't possible make all their automobiles better at the same time.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
and yes, the Maxima is gearing up for a size increase, based on a stretched third gen Altima platform. Nissan is going away from using 2 sedans to combat the Camcord I4's and V6's. With the Altima stepping up to take on both the Camcord's I4's and V6's, the Maxima gets larger to compete with Toyota's flagship, the Avalon. But we'll have to wait for that.

·
coffee black and egg whit
2,745 Posts
Ry said:
and yes, the Maxima is gearing up for a size increase, based on a stretched third gen Altima platform. Nissan is going away from using 2 sedans to combat the Camcord I4's and V6's. With the Altima stepping up to take on both the Camcord's I4's and V6's, the Maxima gets larger to compete with Toyota's flagship, the Avalon. But we'll have to wait for that.

compete??? the avalons sales were HORRIBLE...there are like 8 of them across the us...its pathetic....if anything they need to compete with the fuckin gs300/430................

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
FiReMuNkI said:

compete??? the avalons sales were HORRIBLE...there are like 8 of them across the us...its pathetic....if anything they need to compete with the fuckin gs300/430................

well then that just make's it a lot easier for us to claim tops in that segment... and most likely any nissan that goes on to compete with the gs300/430 will have an infiniti badge on it...

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Help me out here. What other cars are w/the Avalon, Maxima, Millinium, 929, 3series, ES series? the pseudo luxu crowd, right? What other cars am I missing?
Jay

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
ThurzNite said:
Help me out here. What other cars are w/the Avalon, Maxima, Millinium, 929, 3series, ES series? the pseudo luxu crowd, right? What other cars am I missing?
Jay
i30?

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
according to Consumer Reports...

Upscale Sedans:
Acura TL, Audi A4, Audi A6, BMW 3-Series, Cadicallac Catera, Infiniti I30, Lexus ES300, Lincoln LS, Mazda Millenia, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Mitsubishi Diamante, Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Volvo S70, Volvo S80

Large Sedans:
Buick LeSabre, Buick Park Avenue, Chrysler 300M, Chrysler Concorde, Chrysler LHS, Dodge Intrepid, Ford Crown Victoria, Lincoln Continental, Mercury Grand Marquis, Oldsmobile Aurora, Pontiac Bonneville, Toyota Avalon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Code:
What the fuck is going on at Nissan? Why in the hell did they decide to make the new Altima BIGGER than the Maxima? In addition to that, it has NEARLY as much horsepower too! What are they smoking over there? Then, on top of all that, they new Infinity G35 is going to be based on SKYLINE?!?! I guess this falls right along with the fact that they could only manage 210hp from a supercharged 3.3L V6.
In my opinion, why not? From a sales/business perspective, I think they are doing the right thing. They haven't been selling their "mid-size" sedan as well as they could be. By offering the new more powerful engine and race backbone, they're persuading prospective buyers to lean towards Nissan instead of the of Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. So basically, why the hell not? It's their company, let them do what they want to do. If it works, hell yea, if not, it's their own fault. Later.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
this topic only came about because "Redline" thinks that Nissan is the richest car company in the world and has the resources to make the next generation Alty and Max come out at the same time...

We all know Nissan's doing the right thing, using the Altima with two different engines to compete directly with Camcords. To compete, the Altima had to because as big (actually bigger than) the Camcords. It just so happens that the Altima stepped up to be bigger the the CURRENT generation Maxima, that hasn't gone through it's full production cycle yet...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts