The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sure oem is the best, but have the other brands proven to be good? i have a napa down the street and i was thinking of using their top of the line oil filter. i know on my bike i only use oem since after market filters suck (for the most part). so my question is... are after market filters junk? if not which ones are just as good as oem? thanks.

·
Got HP?!
303 Posts
I have been using Mobil One oil filters...along with Mobil One oil. They are a little pricey, but I think they are one of the best out there. I know there are a couple threads on this issue that were created long, long ago. You might want to check them out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i've been usin Fram....mah father has been usin it for a long a** time and it seems to keep it good....used it an 87 camry...put 267 thousand miles on it....and still sold it for $800....so yeah...i think Fram is pretty good

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
white_ALL TIMA said:
i've been usin Fram....mah father has been usin it for a long a** time and it seems to keep it good....used it an 87 camry...put 267 thousand miles on it....and still sold it for $800....so yeah...i think Fram is pretty good
ive heard a lot of bad things about fram, but mostly for bikes. they absolutely suck for motorcycles. but they may use different technology for cars.

thanks for the info so far guys.

·
*Donating Member* Member
878 Posts
I use the OEM filter on mine, but will substitute AC Delco if I don't have a chance to get by the dealer.

If you search the net, there are a couple pages up out there where people have done various oil filter reviews, involving cutting the filters open, measuring the filter element size, and analyzing the construction of the filter. AC Delco, Mobil, etc., come out well in these studies. As for your basic Fram filter, might as well not even bother changing the filter if you are going to use the Fram filter.

·
Rock & Roll Outlaw
649 Posts
Nissan

Let me see.

A 20K+ car and we are going to trust another filter.

Let me see I am going to do my own because Nissan sucks.

No, I don't think so.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Nissan

mdale said:
Let me see.

A 20K car and we are going to trust another filter.

Let me see I am going to do my own because Nissan sucks.

Not, I don't think so.
actually 25k.;)

nissan does do lifetime changes on the car but not til 3500 miles, and i want to change it at 600 because im like that.:cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use an AC Delco filter. If you look in the filter books at your auto parts store, it won't show up, but it fits perfectly. The # is AC PF1127.

Another member of this site turned me on to this particluar filter and others have said it works excellent (and it's pretty cheap!). It's also bigger than the OEM...here is the thread if you want to take a look...

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51161

·
All Nissan, All The Time!
620 Posts
Fram = LOW quality

I have heard time and again rupture issues with Frame filters.... My last beloved Ford Contour SVT didn't suffer that fate, but many other owners of those cars did. Don't think cheaper is better when it comes to something as important as a filter. If the bypass valve fails and pressure suddenly rises boom.... there goes your all you oil and by the time you figure it out the damage is way past done.

Me personally I think after comparing the build quality and thickness of material used in the OEM think it is great. I really looked over a variety of filters and settled for Bosch top filter... The pressure relief valve in it is similar to the OEM and the case thickness is about the same.... Cost around 8-10 bucks though.

On the bright side if cost cutting is your style you will kick yourself months/years from now after a freaking 5 dollar filter result in a trashed engine.... Yeah... How much money spent is good enough? You be the judge....

Cheers,

Volcano God

·
*Really New Member*
1,095 Posts
mobil one filter with mobil one oil...would take it to the dealer but i rather do it myself cause i know its getting done right, and dun feel like making an appointment just to get my oil changed..

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
i was using any filter from auto parts stores...pretty much whatever they had for my car. But now, I use Nissan oil filters only. I didn't b4 cuz I feared that they would be extremely pricey but I found that it was around 7 bucks and that is perfectly acceptable pricing for me.

·
*Donating Member* Member
878 Posts
Don't forget too, if you change your oil yourself, use a new crush washer EVERY time you change the oil. Last time I went by the dealer to pick up a filter, I picked up three washers just to have them on hand.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I use the bosch too, mainly because it is made by Champion Labs as is the Mobile 1 filter and it is almost as good as the Mobile 1 (15 microns vs 10 microns for the Mobile 1 filter) but is $5.99 at autozone and the Mobile 1 is $11.99. I use Mobile 1 oil, though.

·
iLoveUman
1,116 Posts
i use the STD (sounds dirty don't it?) filter, also made by champions lab. I forgot the part number, but it's like twice the size of the OEM filter. I found out about it from the guys over at the ORG, my theory is bigger must be better, especially a champions lab made filter

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mrbiggs said:
mobil one filter with mobil one oil...would take it to the dealer but i rather do it myself cause i know its getting done right, and dun feel like making an appointment just to get my oil changed..
thats how i feel about it. id rather do it myself and know it was done right.

thanks for all the replies, and the link. its all good info.

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
Can someone point us first time Altima oil changers to a how-to link. I need info like: how many oil plugs, size socket needed to remove plug(s), best way to remove oil filter, special gaskets/tools needed etc.
Tried the search, but didn't find much.

·
*Donating Member* Member
878 Posts
One oil plug--make sure those of you with an auto tranny you don't mistakenly drain the ATF out.

Not sure of the socket size, but it is more than likely metric.

The first time you change the oil from the factory, have a stout screwdriver on hand. On almost every new car I have had, the factory filter required the screwdriver to remove the filter. (Drive the screwdriver through the side of the filter and use it to get leverage.) Do not overtighten the new filter and you should never have another problem.

The only "gasket" you will need is the crush washer on the oil drain plug. Take the old one off before you put the new one on. Also, make sure the oil filter gasket came off with the filter when your removed the filter and is not still stuck to the engine.

Make sure you have something that will catch the oil as it comes out also. Dispose of it properly--it does not take very much to contaminate a LOT of groundwater.

·
35 ALTIMATIC
519 Posts
Bosch or Purolator. Mobil filters are good but a bit pricey, as long as you do your oil changes on time and keep records for warranty issues you'll be fine. Fram = No good!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts