The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the weather change, I am about to get ready to change my oil. I have a 94 Altima, and I was wondering what weight of oil does everyone in here use? Im gonna stick with Castrol, so you can't change my mind as far as name brand goes. Should I get 10w-30 or 5w-30 or what? Please write back and help me out. THANX!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stay in Memphis,TN. It gets kinda cold here, but we dont have alot of bad weather. During the average winter, we might get 1-2 weeks of snow.

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Nissan's service manual suggests the use of SAE 5W-30 for all temperatures, but if you are not expecting temperatures under 0 degrees F, you can go with SAE 10W-30.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
yeah. only worry is starting temp...but 10w-30 should cover it.
Jay

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I use 15w-40!

Yeah. Its a little thicker and smoother for my high mileage engine. My friends dad works for peco and supposidely thats all they use in there cars and trucks. If they use it its gotta be good. Plus I notice a smoother engine after it.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Re: Re: What type of Oil to use?

kenshi said:

You change your oil just when the weather changes?
Damn! The weather changes every day here - I'd better get started...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: I use 15w-40!

NISSANFREAK said:
Yeah. Its a little thicker and smoother for my high mileage engine. My friends dad works for peco and supposidely thats all they use in there cars and trucks. If they use it its gotta be good. Plus I notice a smoother engine after it.
Not good for the engine on single digit winter days.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
In PA in never hits single digits!

Yeah its cool here. I will never be that bad here. Who knows. If it was I wouldnt drive.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
781 Posts
Interesting tidbit that I learned today... My friend was having a BMW meet, and this dude with an E46 M3 shows up. Turns out, E46 M3's (the newest ones) use 5W30, even in normal weather. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts