The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else ever notice a rotten egg type smell coming from the exhaust after running the engine hard. I was always told it was a sign that the catalytic converter was going bad but I only have 8000 miles on my 04 3.5. (Although I lost a strut at 6000 so it wouldn't surprise me)

Can anyone shed some light on this. And driving slower is not an option!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes it is the farts but this is coming from the outside of my car. I found out from a friend when I blew past him the other day. He said my car was fast but it stinks like shit. After I got out I could smell it too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I get it also in my 05, but I have 25,000. The smell was very strong at first, but now it only happens if I run my car very hard for a long period of time. I believe its just the new parts working in.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
If you want some peace of mind, take it in to the dealer to get it checked, but the rotten egg smell is perfectly normal as far as I'm concerned. I haven't had a car in the last 10 years that didn't make that smell, and the newer the car, the worse it smells...never smelled a more pungent car than my wife's Celica until I bought my 02 2.5.

·
Registered
381 Posts
re-set your ecu?

Hey, I'm new here but did you reset your ECU after after doing any mods. Hell i reset mine after changing the oil. Seriously if you do any thing to change the original fuel delivery map, your ecm may be running your system a little rich (Bling, Bling) :p result flatulating smell or black smoke after punching it. it may also help your MPG. so reset it and see if it works. little sidways box near the front left section of the e-bay, next to the serpentine belt. make sure the car is warm. pop out the 10A fuse wait 10 seconds and pop it back in. start the car and let it run for 10 min. w/out ANYTHING ON! A/C, stereo, ect. let me know.
Aaron Kashmer

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
daimlerneon said:
Does anyone else ever notice a rotten egg type smell coming from the exhaust after running the engine hard. I was always told it was a sign that the catalytic converter was going bad but I only have 8000 miles on my 04 3.5. (Although I lost a strut at 6000 so it wouldn't surprise me)

Can anyone shed some light on this. And driving slower is not an option!
I had that smell. It was terrible. I took it into the dealer and they said just to leave it alone for a while. It was really bad up until around 20000 miles or so and then went away. Its a pretty common thing. The dealer did offer to replace the catalytic converter if needed.

It should eventually start dying down or happening less frequently. It still may appear once in a while but shouldn't be as bad.

·
Bakersfield's Finest
779 Posts
That has happened once in my Altima, it was after my engine break in period and I wanted to see what it can really do when ran hard...it was great until i smelled the scent...i seriously thought it was me because i had a mc donalds mc muffin that morning and usually...well you guys/gals get the picture

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hondas used to be notorious for the "rotten egg smell". It has to do with the catalytic converter, but not "going bad". It's more an indication that it's working. Generally, my car makes that smell whenever I have a lead foot. It just means your cat's working harder than usual.

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
its the catalytic converter, the rotton egg smell is when the converter is burning up the unspent fuel that makes its way into the exhaust system. it smells like sulfer (rotton eggs). if you didnt have the catalytic converter those gases would make it into the atmosphere and come back down as acid rain (partly sufuric acid).

my 04 does the same thing when i get on her a little. its normal. form what i hear. but my 04 is the first ride that i have had that has done it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts