The Nissan Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hear a lot of people say that Fram sucks, cause they are not made very well. A lot of there filters do not flow enough at high RPM's and go into bypass mode, where they are not filtering at all and just bypassing the oil right passed the filter cause the pressure gets too high for the media.

I am going to use the K&N filter. It is supposed to have high flow rates. My local autoparts store said it costs $15.00 and they will have to order it. I think the model is # is 1010. They do not list a K&N filter for the 2002 Altima yet but the 1010 is the same one used on the pathfinder and maxima 3.5, so it is probably the same.

William

·
Registered
19 Posts
AltaMotions2002 said:
:rolleyes: Just curious if anyone knows off the bat what the FRAM oil filter part number is on the 3.5

Thanks,

A
L
T
A
Motions 2002
I just went to the dealer and picked one up, a little more expensive but I figure the factory filter is probably decent anyway.

·
Senior Code Monkey
453 Posts
FAST4DR said:
I hear a lot of people say that Fram sucks, cause they are not made very well. A lot of there filters do not flow enough at high RPM's and go into bypass mode, where they are not filtering at all and just bypassing the oil right passed the filter cause the pressure gets too high for the media.

I am going to use the K&N filter. It is supposed to have high flow rates. My local autoparts store said it costs $15.00 and they will have to order it. I think the model is # is 1010. They do not list a K&N filter for the 2002 Altima yet but the 1010 is the same one used on the pathfinder and maxima 3.5, so it is probably the same.

William
I changed my oil for the first time a couple of days ago - went to the dealer to get the Nissan filter. The filter ended up being the same filter as the last generation's KA24DE filter. So I figure any aftermarket filter that fits on the KA24DE will also fit the '02 Altima 2.5 ...

As for the 3.5 ... perhaps a Maxima 3.0 filter would be the right one if I follow my warped little logic ... I don't know ... I'm just guessing.

G

·
From what I read, the Fram filters of today are not what they were a few years ago. I would strongly recommend either the factory filter (very good and not that expensive) or the purlator pure one. The problem with the pure one on the v6 is that it is a little longer then the nissan filter and it might rub the fender protector. However, I use it on my girlfriends '02 without any problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wouldn't even bother with the Frams

Nissan Filter that came on the car from the factory was a 15208-65F01, However all the dealers I have contacted have given me a 15208-65F00, the same filter that my SR20DE takes. I called them on it and they all told me that is what Nissan is recommending. They look identical and fit exactly the same so that's what I have been using.

Seems like a really small filter to me, but I didn't build the car so I will use what they recommend. I change my oil/filter often enough that it shouldn't ever become a flow issue due to clogging. I have been thinking I will eventually get a relocation kit so I can use a larger filter and gain a little capacity, not to mention, ease of use. That's not going to happen for at least 36K miles though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FRAM oil filters are terrable... avoid them at all costs. They are paper inserts with glue. There have been more than a few aligations of the paper comming unglued and messing up engines.

Most other brands are all made by the same company.. "something" labs, don't remeber. AC Delco Gold and Mobil 1 are considered the best.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Champion Labs

but just because they are made by the same company does not mean they are made to the same specs.

Champion even makes the Mobil One Filter!

There are only about 2 or 3 car battery manufacturers that make 99% of all the batteries on the road. Exide, Interstate, and Panasonic. But a die hard battery is not made to the same spec as a Mopar Battery - yet both come from the came manufacturer.

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
AltaMotions2000,

You've probably found my earlier mention of the Fram part number by now, but if not it's 6607.

As for some of these boners who find it necessary to bash the orange Fram filters, don't listen to them. While it's true that the standard Fram filter is not the same quality as, say, a Mobil 1 filter, I've used them for over 15 years without a single problem. AlliedSignal makes a solid product.

Max's comment that the filter is teeny-weenie is very true. It's the smallest oil filter I've ever seen that went on something with four wheels. It's a little worrisome.

Also, elaborating on Joseph's comments, I did notice that the gasket diameter and thread pitch of the oil filter for the KA24DE is the same as that recommended for the Altima's VQ35 -- the KA filter is just longer. And interestingly enough, several filter guides recommend the same part number for the VQ35 installed in the '02 Pathfinder as the KA. By all accounts, I'd say you could use that part number (Fram 7317 or equivalent) on the VQ in the Altima. It might rub a little on the inner fender liner, but not enough to be worrisome.

At next oil change, I'm planning on going with a standard Delco filter, p/n 1127, which is recommended in the filter guides and is slightly longer and wider than the Fram, Bosch, or Nissan-spec'd filters and should provide more filter area than all of them. (This part number is also recommended for the KA24DE; hence my theory above.) The Mobil 1 filter (M1-103, I think) is top of the line, but something deep inside me cringes at the thought of dropping $12 for an oil filter.

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5SE 5-speed
'98 SE 5-speed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.