The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update
It was in fact bad driver side wheel bearing. New one is smooth and quiet which reveals other noises. Haha

I took my sweet ass time so I can’t say how long it could’ve taken, maybe an hour?

I used a S hook to hang caliper up on the strut.

Decided to use a swivel socket to remove hub nuts so there was no need to remove knuckle and brace the axle. Hub nuts weren't too bad coming off. Used a flex head extendable ratchet (15” handle) and the nuts didn’t really give me any trouble.

Buttoned everything up and torqued to spec.

Really glad it was the bearing and not the 8 month old CV axle.

Thanks to wild willy for confirming that bearing can be bad and there be no play present in the wheel.

I replaced driver side CV axle 8 months ago. Axle was sourced from local dealer - Nissan valuadvantage. CV axle is still under warranty for another 3-4 months.

2ish months after replacing I started getting a light humming noise at about 40mph.

Noise has gotten worse as of late.

Dealer parts guy said there’s no known issue with the valuadvantage CV axle and that the noise sounds more like wheel bearing.

Jacked it up and did the play test and didn’t even get light play up/down or side/side.

Anyone have any thoughts? Could wheel bearing bad and causing noise but not giving play? Anything else to diagnose?

TIA - Al

2009 Altima Sedan 2.5s 157k miles CVT has 44k miles

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
Replaced mine a while back...it was noisy.....No play at all in it..I let it go got a long time..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced mine a while back...it was noisy.....No play at all in it..I let it go got a long time..
Thanks for sharing that, puts my mind at ease a bit. I’m getting it on jacks later and will give it a more thorough once over and if there’s nothing else that’s obviously wrong, I’ll pick up a hub locally.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
Start spraying the 4 bolts on the back side with PB Blaster....they are a bitch...also around the front of the bearing......It took hours of spraying, and pounding with a hammer. Also let it sit over night drenched..this helped tremendously. Make sure when you put it back on u line up the bearing so that the wheel sensor will go in..I learned the hard way.....had to do it twice

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start spraying the 4 bolts on the back side with PB Blaster....they are a bitch...also around the front of the bearing......It took hours of spraying, and pounding with a hammer. Also let it sit over night drenched..this helped tremendously. Make sure when you put it back on u line up the bearing so that the wheel sensor will go in..I learned the hard way.....had to do it twice
Fun. 😫😩
Thanks for the heads up. And yes, I’ve seen a few people mention ensuring lining up properly to account for wheel sensor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was definitely driver side wheel bearing. Strange/inconvenient/confusing that it went not long after CV axle. Or maybe whatever the hell was up with CV axle strained the bearing and caused it to fail.

Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It was definitely driver side wheel bearing. Strange/inconvenient/confusing that it went not long after CV axle

Thanks for the insight!
Did you torque the axle nut correctly when you replaced the CV axle? If not that may have been the problem.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
X2, low on axle nut torque will kill the bearing in short order.

If you have a good chunk of mileage it is considered good practice to change wheel bearing at same time axle gets changed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X2, low on axle nut torque will kill the bearing in short order.

If you have a good chunk of mileage it is considered good practice to change wheel bearing at same time axle gets changed.
Torqued to 129ft/lbs after CV axle replacement. But yea, wish I’d have just changed the bearing during axle replacement.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If the bearing is a cheap crap Chinese one I have seen them fail in a day/week/month, they are garbage in quality and even seen bad ones with zero grease in them.

If brake pedal not held down at the final tighten then roughly half your torque there just dissipated in axle windup to go inside the trans likely at park pawl area,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts