The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody changed their wheel bearings? Well my car was making a growling sound and I thought it was my tires but I asked a mechanic and he told me my rear wheel bearings are worn out. He said it was because of my 18" rims. How hard are they to install? Also I have to buy the whole wheel bearing assembly because they don't sell the seperately.

·
246 Posts
I THINK I HAVE THE SAME NOISE, DOSE IT SOUND LIKE SOMETHING IS RUBBING, LIKE VRRRRRRRRRRRRR....... HAVENT HAD IT LOOKED AT YET, I HAVE 17" AND ONLY 28,000 MILES. LET ME KNOW.:confused: :confused:

·
projected member
919 Posts
a rear one is a piece o' cake. take off the wheel. drum brakes? knock off the drum. knock off the gold dust cap, take out cotter pin, remove nut. prolly 30mm socket. hub with wheel bearing slides off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool. installation doesn't seem too hard.

yeah it sounds like a loud rubbing, growling sound. It really loud and annoying. Eventually your the bearings will seize if you drive with them long enough. My car has 50,000 miles but I haven't had the rims that long.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yeah, easy repair, but the part can be spendy, make sure you shop around...best of luck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man! I had the wheels for only a year and 10 months with about 25,000 miles. Dealer wants about $100 per assembly but I can get them cheaper.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
joehotrod said:
a rear one is a piece o' cake. take off the wheel. drum brakes? knock off the drum. knock off the gold dust cap, take out cotter pin, remove nut. prolly 30mm socket. hub with wheel bearing slides off.
You know what? You just posted instructions on how to do a drum -> disc conversion. Awesome dood.
Jay

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
ThurzNite said:

You know what? You just posted instructions on how to do a drum -> disc conversion. Awesome dood.
Jay

Hmm. I didn't see where he talked about replacing the master cylinder/portioning valve, because the brake pressure is different on 4 wheel disk models.:D

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
kenshi said:

Hmm. I didn't see where he talked about replacing the master cylinder/portioning valve, because the brake pressure is different on 4 wheel disk models.:D
Hehe, he covered the main points...good enuf.
But yeah, I have no idea on how to do the stuff you mentioned Kenshi...nothing in the manual about those things. Definite a cool project if someone can do it.
Jay

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
ThurzNite said:

Hehe, he covered the main points...good enuf.
But yeah, I have no idea on how to do the stuff you mentioned Kenshi...nothing in the manual about those things. Definite a cool project if someone can do it.
Jay
I agree, it's seems like a pretty easy project especially if you're not dealing with ABS . You just have to get the master cylinder/proportioning valve for a SE as well as the brakes.

The manual should give specifications for brake line pressure that's different depending whether there's disks in the back or not.

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Mythos said:
Why do the bearings wear out that fast? If you put any aftermarket rims on do they wear out that fast?
Wrong offset - puts uneven pressure on bearing.

·
Banned
134 Posts
about six months ago i heard the same thing u were talking..my car sounded like an airplane.....well i brought it to the shop and he told me it was my left front bearing.....charged me 130.00.i guess thats not too bad....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone else told me that water could have leaked into the bearings. I've been washing my rims more than usual and I didn't drive my car after I was done. So water was probably stuck in there and messing everything up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts