The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought A pair of daat rims for my 05 altima. the part of the rim that goes up against the hub is alot wider then the stock rims, so the wheel studs come through less. When I went to put the lug nuts, the stud is aboust 5 threads away from coming all the way through the lug nut. I tried finding new studs but cant find them at local part stores. Then I tried nismo ones but even though they said they do fit the top of the stud that goes into the hub is small so they didnt fit. Anyone else have this problem or anyone know where to get new studs that fit or where to get custom ones or anyway to fix this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the right lug nut. The back of the rim that goes on the hub is like 3X bigger then the factory one that is whats causing the problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The offset is right. Its just that the part of the rim that goes against the hub is thicker then the stock ones so it makes wheel studs smaller. What i was asking if anyone knows where to get new longer wheel studs from.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
DesiEGO said:
^Man, I guess anything is possible these days. I didn't have a clue they can do that. How would they put a new stud, by welding it or something ???
On the altima I believe they are pressed on.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
That is unusual. Most wheel studs are a fairly standard length. Are you sure the wheel is fully seating against the rotor? If so, you can replace the studs with longer ones. They are simply pressed into the hub. This is typically only necessary when wheel spacers are used, so I would question the fitment of these wheels first. OEM wheel studs are $1.60 each.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah altima studs are just banged out and pressed in. Stock studs are 40mm I bought 60mm nismo ones that were supposed to fit but of course they didnt. So now I am trying to find where to get longer ones that will fit. Oh yeah the Rims are 20x7.5 high positive offset.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Wheels that have thicker hubs than stock stud lengths are uncommon but do happen. They also often involve offsets considerably different as well. You must check the offset will be 45 mm or close. And you must get the right intereference fit of the press-in end as well or you risk the stud turning in the bore and not dismounting the lugnut.
Many auto parts sources have studs longer than stock but you must check the press-in and stud diameters of the replacement lug bolt compared to stock and the hub bores as well. That doesn't mean you can't go with 1/2" studs instead of 12mm but you'll need to get new lug nuts, too.
consult the internet for oversize lug bolts or long lug bolts. Fords and chevys easy. nissan maybe not. and you may have to change lug nuts as well because you might not be able to get them in 12 mm x 1.25 threads.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You may not need longer studs. If you can get 6 full turns of engagement on your lugs and get them to the proper foot pounds of torque you are fine. If this does not work try to finnd some "shank" style nuts. These are lug nuts that have a little extension of thread at the tip so you get more thread on the stud. These are used for problem fitments like yours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts