The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I wish...
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I've recently purchased a 2002 SE (eagerly awaiting delivery :)), and am considering upgrading the wheels and tires as soon as possible.

I've searched through the board for messages related to fitment, and while I found answers to most of my questions, a few of things still elude me:

1) The manual says that the wheel offset is 40, but I've seen posts claiming that the stock wheels are stamped with an indicator that the offset is actually 45. Did anyone here confirm with Nissan as to whether the manual is in error? I want to keep the offset exactly the same, so I'd really like to know.

2) I'd like to put 245/45-17 or 245/50-17 on 17x8 rims, with the stock offset. Did anyone here put either of these sizes on? If so, what offset did you use?

3) For those of you who bought the service manual: is it possible to change the speedometer setting to better match a non-stock overall tire diameter? If so, how do you do it? I would assume there is a setting for the number of revs per mile (or km) that the tire makes.

I appreciate any help you can provide,

Aquiname
 

·
The Reverend
Joined
·
85 Posts
aquiname said:

1) The manual says that the wheel offset is 40, but I've seen posts claiming that the stock wheels are stamped with an indicator that the offset is actually 45. Did anyone here confirm with Nissan as to whether the manual is in error? I want to keep the offset exactly the same, so I'd really like to know.
Keep in mind that you must balance the offset and the rim width together. If you get OE rim width then you have nothing to be concerned about, simply get OE offset, but in you get a rim that is 1 inch wider you might need to use a smaller offset the keep the wheel from rubbing the strut or coil spring perch.
 

·
I wish...
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: wheel/tire fitment

BryanPendleton said:


Keep in mind that you must balance the offset and the rim width together. If you get OE rim width then you have nothing to be concerned about, simply get OE offset, but in you get a rim that is 1 inch wider you might need to use a smaller offset the keep the wheel from rubbing the strut or coil spring perch.
Thanks for the advice Bryan.

I guess I'm hoping that an 8" rim with the stock offset will actually fit, since preserving the offset keeps the handling characteristics the same.

If someone can confirm that it does, I would be very greatful.

BTW What do you have on your ride?
 

·
Polished Member
Joined
·
51 Posts
Re: Re: Re: wheel/tire fitment

aquiname said:


Thanks for the advice Bryan.

I guess I'm hoping that an 8" rim with the stock offset will actually fit, since preserving the offset keeps the handling characteristics the same.

If someone can confirm that it does, I would be very greatful.

BTW What do you have on your ride?
An 8 inch wide rim on a 40 - 45 offset rim will fit with a 245 tire at stock diameter or less.


preserving the offset keeps the handling characteristics the same

Not really ....by maintaining the same offset on the wider wheel, you are pushing the center of the wheel and wider tire outboard. Which will improve cornering. The only way to keep handling characteristics would be to use a higher offset...but why would you want to do that?
 

·
I wish...
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gibaholic said:


An 8 inch wide rim on a 40 - 45 offset rim will fit with a 245 tire at stock diameter or less.
Thanks gibaholic. Are you speaking from personal experience? If so, what was your exact fit (rim diameter/width/offset, tire width/profile)?



Not really ....by maintaining the same offset on the wider wheel, you are pushing the center of the wheel and wider tire outboard. Which will improve cornering. The only way to keep handling characteristics would be to use a higher offset...but why would you want to do that?
As I understand it (based on the fitment FAQ on tirerack), offset is measured from the center of the wheel rim to the face of the wheel. As such, keeping the offset constant will spread any wheel width increase evenly to the inside and outside of the wheel, which maintains the handling characteristics (they state this as a fact).

Is their explanation wrong? :confused:
 

·
I wish...
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's something I found which explains why keeping the offset the same is desirable:

On front-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles, it I important to keep the front axle offsets to the factory designed specifications. Offsets that do not meet these specifications can increase steering effort, steering wheel kick-back when accelerating around a turn, and load on the wheel bearings. Using the proper positive or negative offset at the rear of the vehicle is important - but less so than using it at the front where the bearing load situation is critical.
I suppose power steering would mask the extra effort required but the system might wear out sooner.
 

·
I wish...
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gibaholic said:
definately........the 40 offset pushes my wheels and tires out about as far as you can go without rubbing. A 45 offset would fit nicely.
Thanks again.:)

I'm still hoping someone with the service manual could tell us if the speedometer, odometer, etc. can be adjusted to a different tire diameter or revs per mile (or km).
 

·
1 large "member"
Joined
·
199 Posts
you guys cant understand how useful this all is for me. i have been looking for specs on wheels and tires for a long time....would anyone know 19's would fit and if so how wide and what profile......
 

·
The Reverend
Joined
·
85 Posts
From my inspection of the OE 17" wheels, there is plenty of clearance between the strut and rim. You would be limited in rim width with a 17" wheel, as you probably only have about 1/2" before the rim would contact strut bolt, but if you move to 18 or 19" wheel the rim would clear strut bolt giving you and 1-1/2" of clearance to strut body.

I do not know the stock rim width, but IF it were 7.5, I bet you could fit 9in wide wheels on the Altima with the proper offset.

I only examine the front, rear may be better OR worse.

Enjoy,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
717 Posts
BryanPendleton said:
From my inspection of the OE 17" wheels, there is plenty of clearance between the strut and rim. You would be limited in rim width with a 17" wheel, as you probably only have about 1/2" before the rim would contact strut bolt, but if you move to 18 or 19" wheel the rim would clear strut bolt giving you and 1-1/2" of clearance to strut body.

I do not know the stock rim width, but IF it were 7.5, I bet you could fit 9in wide wheels on the Altima with the proper offset.

I only examine the front, rear may be better OR worse.

Enjoy,
OE 17" wheel = 17 x 7
BTW, I haven't seen a 9" wide rim fit the 02 in any application.
However, I would love to be proved wrong!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
i need some help

can someone please tell me if this set up will work because i have absolutely no clue at all.

20 x 8.5 rim with a 45 mm offset

what tire would be better?
235-35-20 tire or a
245-35-20 tire

will they fit???

also, can u please tell me if i would be able to drop it with sportlines.

thanks
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top