My god is thyself
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NEED HELP ASAP - Wheel Vibration

Starting Info:
Model: 1997 Altima SE
Transmission: 5 speed w/ LSD
Mileage: 169,750km
New parts relating to condition: New rotors installed on all four wheels.

My 1997 Altima has developed sort of a "front end" wobble.

I noticed that the left front CV boot is cut in one place and the back of the rim had some oil splattered on it... I assume from the CV boot being cut and oil flying out with the forward spinning force.

I now notice some wobble while accelerating (all speeds; from stop to 140km/h).

Need to know a few things:
- Is the wheel bearing completely shot from lack of lubrication?
- Cost of CV boot and wheel bearing replacement? I should probably do both while I'm at it for good measure, but need a rough cost.

Any ideas/points on this? I'd like to get this done before it comes a serious problem.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
is there a noise, like a loud GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR coming from the wheel at speed? does it stop when you turn left? if not, i highly doubt the wheel bearing is shot. they make lots of noise when they arent happy :) more than likely its just your CV joint...i inspect mine every so often just to make sure the boots arent torn, especially since im lowered. dirt and stuff get in there and really kill things. id change it out and see if that helps. do you get any clicking when you turn? if so its a sure sign the CV is dead.

new rotors wont cause vibration....youll only get it when you brake at high speed...if they are really, really warped i guess they could cause vibration, but since theyre new they should be OK.

·
My god is thyself
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I mentioned the rotors - so nobody points to warped rotors.

There is no noise coming from the front end. It's just wheel vibration.. heavier the faster I go.

Another point, I avoided an accident a little while ago and locked up all four tires from 110km/h to 0km/h. Think maybe there's a flat spot?

·
5spding soon...
1,377 Posts
i've got the same thing. i put on all new pads and all new rotors on all 4 corners with an alignment and when i brake i get a lot of vibration depending on how hard i'm braking. no idea what it is

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well I have 235,000 miles on my 93. I have chased vibrations in the past..

Based upon the fact that it's more pronounced upon acceleration, I'd say it's Motor Mounts.. They are totally shot by the time you put 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sockington said:
That's why I mentioned the rotors - so nobody points to warped rotors.

There is no noise coming from the front end. It's just wheel vibration.. heavier the faster I go.

Another point, I avoided an accident a little while ago and locked up all four tires from 110km/h to 0km/h. Think maybe there's a flat spot?

Also I had Dunlops which frequently go out of round.. GRRR

Anyway, my front end started to shimmy real bad. I could see the steering wheel pulsing even at 10mph..

I thought it was CV joints binding an stuff..or a bent rim or a lost wheel weight.. But this was happening at such slow speeds it could not be.

But I decided to put the front wheels on the rear and the rears up front.. Viola! front shimmy gone.. Now my ass vibrates.... I need to put new tires on..

It a quick and easy test...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts