The Nissan Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
i wouldn't think that's the case... because what if you are driving and a car jumps from the other lane in front of you head on... you don't have time to hit the brakes...

I'll look in my manual, but I'd image it be mroe than 15MPH regardless but only in a frontal collision, not a rear one....

·
There is no substitute.
520 Posts
i thought that the airbag sensors just have to be smashed or something like that. Isnt that why the airbag sensors have a warning on them that says not to tamper with them unless you know what ure doing. I figured if you tampered with them wrong you could set off your airbags. Ive been in an accident in a chevy malibu with airbags that they didnt deploy and the front was pretty smashed in, bout 10gs in damage.

·
115 Posts
i just got hit head on going 45 mph and my airbags did not go off. i got hit on the drivers side front bumper and fender. i did not have my foot on the brakes on the airbags did not go off, so i guess it is only when your foot is on the brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It has nothing to do with whether or not your foot is on the brake pedal. There is an accelerometer usually on the floor of the cabin, near the center that senses deceleration. There are other sensors under the hood, all combined with a computer to determine direction and deceleration rate of the vehicle. The computer reponds and deploys the airbag at certain time, but only in a frontal crash. Side or angled impacts are not supposed to set off an airbag. My guess is your crash was more angled than head on, and the computer chose not to deploy. If it wasn't, then perhaps the computer was broken or incorrectly filtering out a needed deployment (design problem). Report it to NHTSA if you feel the latter is the case.

CJS

·
Resident drunken chef!
389 Posts
I know when ever I put a sytem in a car, I see the scarry yellow loom and yellow tape with all kinds of warnings on it. I've never had any go off, that would be an expensive mistake!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
scootter said:
I know when ever I put a sytem in a car, I see the scarry yellow loom and yellow tape with all kinds of warnings on it. I've never had any go off, that would be an expensive mistake!!
HAHA! Dude, do I know that feeling! I took my carpet out and got it cleaned while I was taping down all the wiring for the system. To get the carpet out with out cutting it, I had to unhook that yellow bitch from the controller under the console....boyyyy my a$$hole was puckered up tight when I did that the first time. LOL My roommate was under the dash when I was doin it. He was like, "Man if that thing goes off and I bust my head, Im gonna kick your ass!"

ah well....just funny memories...anyone whos had the whole center console out knows what we're talkin about.

Most dealerships will do general 100-point inspections (whatever they call it) for free and Im pretty sure this is one of the things that are included in that. Maybe one of the Nissan tech's around here who actually worked for em can clarify.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
krackmnkysnick said:

HAHA! Dude, do I know that feeling! I took my carpet out and got it cleaned while I was taping down all the wiring for the system. To get the carpet out with out cutting it, I had to unhook that yellow bitch from the controller under the console....boyyyy my a$$hole was puckered up tight when I did that the first time. LOL My roommate was under the dash when I was doin it. He was like, "Man if that thing goes off and I bust my head, Im gonna kick your ass!" .
That's why they say to disconnect the battery before you tear into the dash. Aside from it being a good idea to prevent shorts anyway.

·
Resident drunken chef!
389 Posts
Yes, one of the few thigs in life I'm afraid of is those damn yellow wires, i heard it kind of sting getting smacked in the face with a air bag!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
googletoes said:

hey victor i tried it and it worked....i hope everyone else that tries it has the same outcome

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Im sorry I just got this mental picture of a car creeping into a telephone pole at 15 mph and the air bags blowing and launching him into the backseat. No offense at all dude, but I would have to pull over so I didnt crash I would be laughing so hard.

So....how did it feel? *snicker*

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,507 Posts
you are supposed to unplug your battery and wait 10 minutes so the capacitor in the air bag deploys (holds charge in case it loses power in accident or something) then goto work, that way you decrease the risk of it going off in your face.

and yes the powder can "burn" you skin. it is the powder they use to pack the bag w/, keeps it from sticking i think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.