The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've heard you were supposed to change fuel filter every 7500-10000 miles but i dunno if thats old car thing or every car thing any help would be beneficial =)

·
Registered
22 Posts
According to the service schedule it never needs to be changed.

I'm sure people will disagree about this. Remember, don't shoot the messinger :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so i'll change it =p

well i'm at like 11,700 miles now since october when i bought the car, anyone got a link to a how to for the 2002 3.5 SE ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have heard a lot of different stories on when a fuel filter should be changed. Some say it should be changed once a year. A service rep at a GM dealership told me off the record that he thinks that every 50,000 km should suffice. I think that 10k is too frequent, maybe 20k.

·
Destroyer of Sidewalls
46 Posts
I changed it in my last car at 60,000 miles. Since I noticed absolutely no difference before or after, I doubt it was especially clogged. Unless you frequent crappy gas stations, I wouldn't worry about changing it more than every 60k miles.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Anyone ever take one apart?

I had one clog once several years ago. It had about 75,000 miles on it. I was told that I am lucky that it clogged(ancient old timer mechanic friend of mine). Most of the time the filter media tears/rips and lets all the dirt go by. Got to love it when the car is fixed for $20 bucks in 5 minutes after spending $50 for a tow.
He also said that some fuel injector cleaners will also clean your fuel filter. Pretty funny eh?
All that crud passing right through that paper(?) filter complements of the FI cleaner. I have no proof for this but for $15 -- once a year every 10k-20k miles is cheap insurance.
It also prevents embarrassing tow off of highway when out with friends.

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
Dang you guys ,dont you ever read your owners manuals ???? The Fuel Filter should be changed at least every 60 K !!! I wouldnt think twice about replacing it every 30K if you want to be over protective !!!! But there is no need to replace it every 15K !!

·
Registered
252 Posts
SHAWN said:
Dang you guys ,dont you ever read your owners manuals ???? The Fuel Filter should be changed at least every 60 K !!! I wouldnt think twice about replacing it every 30K if you want to be over protective !!!! But there is no need to replace it every 15K !!
And spark plugs last 105,000 miles; And windshield wipers every 15k. How do you measure mileage on a wiper? It doen't have an odometer. Or do you just replace it when it doesn't work.
I just think that it is funny how certain items get inspected but never changed.
http://nissan.mossy.com/ownerservices/maintenancesch.asp

Or fuel filter on page 8-8 has no mainenance schedule. Footnote #2 says replace it when it is clogged. So 60k miles might be too early.
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/Guides/og//altima/1996-Nissan-Altima.pdf

The maintenance schedule is so that Nissan(statistically speaking) has the fewest repairs during the warranty period. They do not care if your car breaks down a day after the warranty expires. Buy a new car.

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
I noticed that Nissan doesn't list a recommended change interval for the fuel filter, either. I'm not sure why they decided to do this; both my '91 SE-R and my wife's '98 Altima listed fuel filter changes at 30K miles, which seemed prudent. You guys advocating 7500-mile fuel filter changes are *way* anal. May as well replace your brake pads and bearings, too. ;)

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5 SE 5-speed
'02 G20 Sport 5-speed

·
Registered
252 Posts
jkwright said:
I noticed that Nissan doesn't list a recommended change interval for the fuel filter, either. I'm not sure why they decided to do this; both my '91 SE-R and my wife's '98 Altima listed fuel filter changes at 30K miles, which seemed prudent. You guys advocating 7500-mile fuel filter changes are *way* anal. May as well replace your brake pads and bearings, too. ;)

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5 SE 5-speed
'02 G20 Sport 5-speed
Bearings and brake pads too! And I thought I would have an easy weekend. :D

Bearings are not easily repackable anymore and "SEALED" for lifetime; Fluids and filters are not.

Nissan was playing a joke on us. Replace fuel filter when it clogs.
HEHEHEHEHEHE . I got 75k miles on one. I could have gotten it replaced 3 times for the cost of the tow. I would have been 12 beers ahead if I replaced it twice and a 24 pack ahead if I replaced it once.

Who has the most miles on their fuel filter??????

·
Registered
13 Posts
2002 ESM Says No CHanges

ESM for 2002 Altima both 2.5 and 3.5 say it is not repeat not a serviceable item. In fact is does not exist in these models. Go figure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
deadrx7conv said:

Who has the most miles on their fuel filter??????
Well on my 95 Maxima, 130,000 miles and counting... So I pull out both manuals for the Max and Alty and they have the same stupid statement:
Page 15 of 2002 "Service and Maintenance Guide"
Quote: "Fuel filter, if the filter becomes clogged, replace the filter (EXCEPT Altima, Maxima, Sentra)" Does that mean if the filter becomes clogged I DON'T replace it???? :confused:

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
320 Posts
went to dealer today

went to dealer today to schedule recall appt. they have parts on hand.

also asked about the fuel filter. the 02 altimas have an in-tank fuel filter. this is why there is no maintenance for it

thus the dirt gets sucked onto filter screen when running and then falls off when the car is off. (this assumes you have dirt in your tank)

it will probably take 150 to 200k miles to even come close to clogging this type of filter

in other words, don't use the cheapest gas you can find.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.