The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
what is in a name?
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
waiting..........

EDIT:
haha just relized its thursday not friday.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
bad news dude, Im getting major blow by... diagnosis: piston rings did not seat properly, which means no dyno tomorrow. I am going back down tomorrow to get a proffessional diagnosis, but the piston rings need to be replaced, so the car will be out for at most a week (yeah yeah yeah, I know I know...).

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
:( Damn that sucks bro. You're right though, could have been a lot worse. Just hope you get it fixed soon.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
pistons never seated, got major major blow by, end of story... nothing more to tell. plugs are fouled up, and Im getting a compression test done tomorrow to pretty much confirm what I have just said.

J

·
0 Posts
compresison test wont confirm it. having bad rings can actually increase compression from increased carbon deposits in the head.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
it could have been a contributing factor... but there are many other possibilities for the piston rings not seating, mainly my dumb ass putting in synthetic in when I shoulda dumped in no synthetic. yeah sam, I know that a comp test wont confirm anything, but atleast it'll give some clue on what the hell is going on in my engine.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
With respect to the 2k rings, are there any different tolerance/clearance differences between the pistons for your car model year and the 2k? Just wondering.....

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
the nissan dealership has two classifications of rings, and then 3 diff subclassifications: there are 93 rings in normal wall to .5, then .5 - 1.X and 1.X - up. then there is the 94 and up rings (these hold the same subclassifications), so there is really no classification of different generation rings besides 93 and 94-01 rings (or so my local nissan dealership has told me).

J

·
0 Posts
if you want to know whats going on, do a LEAKDOWN test. it is far more effective in figure out where you are losing oil from than a compression test.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
cthunder said:
the nissan dealership has two classifications of rings, and then 3 diff subclassifications: there are 93 rings in normal wall to .5, then .5 - 1.X and 1.X - up. then there is the 94 and up rings (these hold the same subclassifications), so there is really no classification of different generation rings besides 93 and 94-01 rings (or so my local nissan dealership has told me).
was jus wondering if the pistons you're using have to have JWT rings as well, if there is such a thing (you using JWT pistons, right?) Thanks for the info!

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
JWT does have rings but they reccomend the alty rings instad of any other. they have the durability of a stock part with the performance of a racing part.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
We're gonna re-ring my JE pistons soon. Should I use the 2k rings instead of stock spec?

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
Sorry to get off the subject. I'll PM you with further questions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts