The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have driven my Altima 1998 for a week now, I am impressed by its 2.4L engine and power and torque. I just have to get used to the stiff clutch and notchy shifting compared to my older Corolla

Even when the engine has warmed up, it idles fast around 1000rpm and I think it it should be more in the range of 750rpm

Apparently there is a screw you can turn to adjust the idle speed, can anyone show me where or post a picture please

thanks

-- proud new owner of a used 1998 Altima GXE, 5-speed, 110000km and counting

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
Idle Speed screw is on the passenger side of the engine inbetween the first two (or last two however you want to look at it) air intake pipes

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
first thing you need to do is make sure its the idle screw setting the idle, or either the throttle cable or cruise control cable is doing it. if either of those is too tight, it can raise your idle.
you are correct though, idle should be around 750 RPMs. just check those cables before you go messing with the screw!

and yea, the tranny is notchy and the clutch is stiff (hydraulic...) but once you get used to it, its no biggie. and its a big step up from a Corolla!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts