The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered Organ Donor
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues with my gauge cluster and want to replace it. Is the mileage stored in the cluster or would my mileage appear on a replacement cluster?

·
ZERO MILES SINCE 2013
4,991 Posts
I've been having issues with my gauge cluster and want to replace it. Is the mileage stored in the cluster or would my mileage appear on a replacement cluster?
I believe it's stored on the cluster.
BTW what's wrong with your guage cluster?

·
Registered Organ Donor
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the needles off and there doesn't seem to be a way to reset them back to how they were. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these kind of things and knowing the needles are off just bugs the hell out of me...

If it's stored on the cluster is there a way to set it?

·
flAt an curvy
222 Posts
to calibrate the needles, while its on you gently move it to top high speed till it stops, then back to the starting point.. i believe u do this twice, but just go once an seee if it works.. mine was being retarted too.. ive gotta replace it

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
Your correct mileage will appear on the replacement cluster.

I am not saying you are incorrect.....but, I had mine replaced under a TSB and they had to put in the correct ODO reading. it was not something that magically happened.

·
My little champion...
4,968 Posts
I am not saying you are incorrect.....but, I had mine replaced under a TSB and they had to put in the correct ODO reading. it was not something that magically happened.
Willy is right. The mileage is stored on the gauge cluster, BUT it's also stored elsewhere (probably in the ECU). The dealership can reprogram your gauge cluster so that it matches the TRUE mileage from your computer.

Since I've been in and out of my gauge cluster and changed the faces a few times, the needles can be calibrated - here's how, I should make a video but I'm busy right now.

This post contains the correct steps, I had left out a NECESSARY step, otherwise things will not work

I am not near my car right now, but if someone can confirm where the gauges go. The fuel and temp goes to the middle. The RPM needle goes to like 2500 I think and the MPH goes to one of the KM/H tick marks -- I can't remember right now.

·
Registered Organ Donor
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Willy is right. The mileage is stored on the gauge cluster, BUT it's also stored elsewhere (probably in the ECU). The dealership can reprogram your gauge cluster so that it matches the TRUE mileage from your computer.

Since I've been in and out of my gauge cluster and changed the faces a few times, the needles can be calibrated - here's how, I should make a video but I'm busy right now.

• PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION
  • MAKE SURE IT IS IN THE OFF POSITION (ALL ACCESSORIES AND GAUGES OFF).
  • PUSH THE TRIP COMPUTER RESET KNOB AND KEEP HOLDING IT
  • TURN THE KEY TO THE ON POSITION WHILE HOLDING THE TRIP RESET KNOB
  • THE DISPLAY SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS "----"
  • RELEASE AND HOLD THE TRIP RESET KNOB
  • THE NEEDLES SHOULD GO TO THEIR RESPECTIVE CALIBRATING POSITION
  • AS LONG AS YOU HOLD THE TRIP COMPUTER BUTTON ALL THE NEEDLES WILL MOVE TO THE CALIBRATION POSITION.
I am not near my car right now, but if someone can confirm where the gauges go. The fuel and temp goes to the middle. The RPM needle goes to like 2500 I think and the MPH goes to one of the KM/H tick marks -- I can't remember right now.
I'll try that as soon as I get a chance, but I'm a little confused. Once I'm done recalibrating...I still have to move the needles? Or do I just leave the needles on and recalibrate and all will be well?

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
7,428 Posts
your correct mileage WILL NOT show up on thed replacement. The mielage that's on the replacement cluster is what will show up. I suggest getting a cluster with less mileage then your car rather then one with higher mileage.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
Your correct mileage will appear on the replacement cluster.
Out of curiosity, where did you get this information? This is a great place for information.....if you know........Great! But if you are unsure....say that and do not give the impression that what you are saying is fact. Your year may be different....I am not saying it is not....But it is better to cast a little doubt if there is a chance you are wrong.

Just sayin....Bad info can cause someone significant grief.

·
My little champion...
4,968 Posts
I'll try that as soon as I get a chance, but I'm a little confused. Once I'm done recalibrating...I still have to move the needles? Or do I just leave the needles on and recalibrate and all will be well?
You'll have to pop them off and put them where they need to be. The fuel and temp needles should be at half, RPM @ 1500, and SPEEDOMETER @ 50 KM/H.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,526 Posts
Out of curiosity, where did you get this information? This is a great place for information.....if you know........Great! But if you are unsure....say that and do not give the impression that what you are saying is fact. Your year may be different....I am not saying it is not....But it is better to cast a little doubt if there is a chance you are wrong.

Just sayin....Bad info can cause someone significant grief.
Haha. I know for a fact it's stored in the ecu and most likely somewhere else. What I didn't know as fact was whether or not the instrument panel could be overridden by the stored number(s). My bad :banghead:

·
Banned
3,513 Posts

• AS LONG AS YOU HOLD THE TRIP COMPUTER BUTTON ALL THE NEEDLES WILL MOVE TO THE CALIBRATION POSITION.
This is some damn handy information, right here.

·
Registered Organ Donor
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Nothing seems to happen when I'm holding the trip button down and turning the key to ON (when the gauges turn on with the radio). The odometer screen just keeps browsing through the different things and not showing ----. I particularly don't understand the step where I'm supposed to release and hold it after I turn it to ON.

Man if you'd make a video or picture tutorial I'd give you my soul.

·
Banned
0 Posts
To put to rest the question about mileage - it is stored only in the gauge cluster (combination meter). The ECU merely interprets the signal from either the speedometer pinion or ABS sensor and passes it along. On a related note, I have a AT 02-04 V6 cluster for sale with 35k miles :).

As far as resetting the needle position, I have not heard of the way that KeVQ35 described, but that's good to know if it actually does work that way. I had to re-position one of mine but did it manually by removing and re-installing the needle with the power applied.

·
My little champion...
4,968 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Nothing seems to happen when I'm holding the trip button down and turning the key to ON (when the gauges turn on with the radio). The odometer screen just keeps browsing through the different things and not showing ----. I particularly don't understand the step where I'm supposed to release and hold it after I turn it to ON.

Man if you'd make a video or picture tutorial I'd give you my soul.
I will make a video tomorrow. I have done it a few times. Are you holding the trip reset knob (the stick). The old fashioned knob that no one hardly uses. Also make sure your computer was previously on trip A or trip B before starting the procedure.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts