Votes: 93 39.2%
  • 3.5 V6 - Manual

Votes: 62 26.2%
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Senior Code Monkey
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading the messages and people are often saying that the 2.5 I4 is better selling than the 3.5 V6. I like to see the numbers.

I'll start first.

Joe :)

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
1,213 Posts
of course you realize that people who are more performance minded will hit the internet trying to find more performance parts and information. And people who are more performance minded will most likely have the 3.5 to begin with. That said, I'm almost positive that 75% of the people on this board are owners of 3.5SEs, even though the actual sales numbers would be more like 75% of total Altima sales go to the I4. Im mumbling... oh man is alkyhol bad! bad bad bad! it's late... bt I can't sleep yet! I'll shup up now :D

·
Rock & Roll Outlaw
163 Posts
2.5 S in Sheer Silver with the automatic.

Who am I to ague with world class V6 horsepower.

175 HP from the base four is tops in the class.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I remember reading a Nissan guy (like the Pres) saying that they expected manuals to make up 15% of the production.

Since the new Maxima is going to be bulked up to fight the Avalon. It'll probably lose the six speed. If that's the case that means we'll probably get an SE-R version in 04' complete with a six speed and a 255-270 HP motor since in 05' they'll probably stick a 320+ in the Z.

w

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,807 Posts
Nick

I have only seen one other silver one on the road since i bought mine on oct 10th.

·
What it is!
752 Posts
WHY??????

I have a 2.5 AUTO, which is cool, because I plan on getting the '04 Maxima, so I didn't want to spend more money to get the 3.5 That extra $$$ is going towards the Max.

BTW, The new Max is going up against the AVALON??? WHAT???

Two TOTALLY different animals! I would buy the Max, and my Grandma would get the Avalon...

The new Max will be PERFORMANCE oriented with RWD, 280-300 HP, 5 or 6 sp. manual, and the Avalon is, well, not...

Don't disgrace the Max like that EVER again!

Later

:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: WHY??????

PhattyAltNAtl said:
I have a 2.5 AUTO, which is cool, because I plan on getting the '04 Maxima, so I didn't want to spend more money to get the 3.5 That extra $$$ is going towards the Max.

BTW, The new Max is going up against the AVALON??? WHAT???

Two TOTALLY different animals! I would buy the Max, and my Grandma would get the Avalon...

The new Max will be PERFORMANCE oriented with RWD, 280-300 HP, 5 or 6 sp. manual, and the Avalon is, well, not...

Don't disgrace the Max like that EVER again!

Later

:cool:
I read it someplace and also heard it from a Nissan Sales Guy. They are making the Max bigger inside (I bought an 02' Avalon for my wife, and test drove the 02' Max twice and the Avalon is much bigger inside). To me it makes sense. Stretch out Max to or at least towards the Q45 size. Let the Altima do battle against the Camry/Accord on the family car side, and the Passat, BMW3 on the low end import perf car side.

Check this out: http://thehollywoodextra.com/maxima/maxima.html

who knows for sure, but I'm sure pretty quick on the heels of the Z going out the 03' Max will be announced. BTW, sales of 02' Maximas are going even more poorly then thought because of cannabalization by Altima of part of its market. Nissan has already had two huge sales to buck up sales, and I'd bet we are due for 2 more in the next six months.

Heck, the ALtima is smaller outside, bigger inside, has the same engine (6), has side curtain airbags and independant rear suspension. The only thing the Maxima has I want is a 6 speed, and the helical limited slip, and the aluminum pedals, and a somewhat nicer interior finish, everything else favors the Altima.

w

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Re: WHY??????

bagwell368 said:

BTW, sales of 02' Maximas are going even more poorly then thought because of cannabalization by Altima of part of its market. Nissan has already had two huge sales to buck up sales, and I'd bet we are due for 2 more in the next six months.

Heck, the ALtima is smaller outside, bigger inside, has the same engine (6), has side curtain airbags and independant rear suspension. The only thing the Maxima has I want is a 6 speed, and the helical limited slip, and the aluminum pedals, and a somewhat nicer interior finish, everything else favors the Altima.

w
The Max sales are doing great. They are selling more Maxima's than ever expected. The Altima are sellin great, but are not taking away any Maxima sales. Nissan has sales but this a end of run car and still is doing very well.

Nissan Division Reports March Sales [Apr. 02, 02]
[click to view table]

- Sedan Sales Up 28.8 Percent -

CARSON, Calif. (April 2, 2002) - Fueled by continued strong Altima, Sentra and Maxima sedan sales, up 28.8 percent versus last year, and of truck sales that continue to buck the industry's downward trend, the Nissan Division of Nissan North America reported March sales of 67,572 units, a 15.1 percent increase versus March, 2001.

The all-new Altima continues to outpace projected sales with unit sales of 18,917, a 20.4 percent increase versus March, 2001, while sales of the Nissan Sentra continue to be strong with sales of 10,741 units, a 25 percent increase over last year. Maxima continues its momentum with sales of 15,162 units, a 44.3 percent increase versus last year.

Although industry-wide truck sales have dropped compared to last year, the Xterra posted sales of 7,247 units, an increase of 4.5 percent, while Pathfinder sales of 6,280 units reflects an increase versus last year of 0.4 percent. Rounding out the division's results are the Frontier with sales of 7,344 units, and the Quest with sales of 1,881 units.

Combined sales for the Nissan and Infiniti divisions for March were 76,200 units, a 14.2 percent increase versus last year.

Sales of Nissan's North American produced vehicles for March totaled 46,130 units, which represents 72.4 percent of all Nissan vehicles sold in the United States.

In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. More information on Nissan in North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at www.nissandriven.com or contact the corporate media line at 310-771-5631.

Note: All numbers include Hawaii. Percentage changes based on DSR.

# # #

Or contact the media line at 310-771-5631.

·
35 ALTIMATIC
165 Posts
Joseph Lau said:
Just reading the messages and people are often saying that the 2.5 I4 is better selling than the 3.5 V6. I like to see the numbers.

I'll start first.

Joe :)
3.5 auto baby!

NISMO 4 LIFE!

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
1,213 Posts
When once I was the first Silver car for me to see, I now see no less than 3 on the road every day. Even a neighbor got a Silver 2.5S!! But I still believe silver is indeed the best color, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it. :)

Oh, and looking at the poll results... Did I call it?? or did I call it?? 75% of the board are indeed 3.5 owners... and I'm right on the money. :D

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
Alxm, are your front windows rolled down or did you only have enough cash on hand to do half your tint job? I hope you got the back window, too. :D

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5 SE 5-speed
'02 G20 Sport 5-speed

·
35 ALTIMATIC
165 Posts
jkwright said:
Alxm, are your front windows rolled down or did you only have enough cash on hand to do half your tint job? I hope you got the back window, too. :D

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5 SE 5-speed
'02 G20 Sport 5-speed
:D heh, heh, nah man, thats legal tint here in Cali. Absolutely no tint allowed on the front windows. I've had two previous cars were I put the lightest tint on the front windows and when I got pulled over by the highway patrol I got the ever dreaded "fix it" ticket here in Cali. Its a pain in the butt removing that freakin' tint and not only did I have to take off my tint, I also had to change my exhaust. I'm taking it nice n slow with the mods on my Alti, 19"s are coming!!!

NISMO 4 LIFE!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.